Existing Member?

Robbie Hey everybody!! This journal was set up to keep everyone up to date with my travels through China and Vietnam. I will be volunteering in China up in the north west part of the country in a city called Urumqi for 13 weeks, helping out (hopefully) with teaching english. I will then have some time in Beijing to explore the sights. I then move on to Vietnam to meet up with my mum for a few days in Ho Chi Minh then fly up to Hanoi to volunteer with a local volunteer agency SJ Vietnam for 10 weeks. Then I fly home just in time for my 21st birthday. This journal will keep you up to date with all my volunteering adventures!!

Jungle Borneo Adventure

MALAYSIA | Sunday, 27 September 2009 | Views [1273]

Hey everyone,

Ok so getting myself up to date.  I will try to remember details....one definate thing I remember from Borneo was the huffing and puffing as I trailed after the uber fit people I went with :-)

Ok so myself, two of my room mates and another exchange guy found super cheap tickets on the net and thought why the hell not lets go to Borneo this weekend-awesome!!!! We went to Kuching in Sarawak, the Malaysian part of Borneo for 3 nights.

So arriving in Kuching it was pretty quiet as it was ramadan, so the streets were empty, but we took off in the pooring rain to explore the town centre..yep not so much, but we soon found some other exchange students that were also studying in Singapore and went to a local bar/pub.  Hmmm drinking seems to be popping up in a lot of my adventures these days :-)  We had some local home brew rice wine and sat around talking with other tourists about what we should do for the weekend, we didn't come with a plan, read the lonley planet on the plane over, but I did know I wanted to see the ORANGUTANGS!!!!!!!!!!

The Ranga's were just beautiful, we went to a rehabilitation centre just outside town and we watched them swinging around in the wild, a definate highlight so far.  The sad thing was that they are taught to hate humans and they learn to attack us with sticks- I thought I would get to go their and hold one, hmmm that bubble of joy was soon popped.  But it was just awesome to see them in the wild, I still went away with a huge grin on my face :-)

On Saturday we headed out to the jungle for some trekking as we had heard that you could stay out there and go swimming and it was meant to be just spectacular!!!!!  It was we went hiking at night to spot frogs, we got up at 5 am for a non existant sunrise as we were on the wrong side of the mountain and we went trekking to a waterfall and swimming.  It was so good but so hot hot hot, I don't think I have ever sweat so much in my life, not even in Singapore.  And of course I was the unfit rhino huffing and puffing at the back trying to keep up with everyone hahahaha I sounded like I had asthma, and the other guys were just like one big breath and they were over it :-)  But it was so amazing and I was so glad I could see the ranga's.  So that was one adventure for the weekend.  It is so cheap and quick to get anywhere in SE Asia, nobody stays in Singapore on the weekend they all head off.  When we get back to uni on Monday its like "so what did you get up to on the weekend?"

"Oh yeah we went to KL or Indonesia or Borneo or Cambodia"...on and on its crazy-don't think anyone is acutually doing any real study, but we are for sure having a good time :-)

So that was that adventure.  Missing all.

Love Katie XXXX

 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.