Existing Member?

Robbie Hey everybody!! This journal was set up to keep everyone up to date with my travels through China and Vietnam. I will be volunteering in China up in the north west part of the country in a city called Urumqi for 13 weeks, helping out (hopefully) with teaching english. I will then have some time in Beijing to explore the sights. I then move on to Vietnam to meet up with my mum for a few days in Ho Chi Minh then fly up to Hanoi to volunteer with a local volunteer agency SJ Vietnam for 10 weeks. Then I fly home just in time for my 21st birthday. This journal will keep you up to date with all my volunteering adventures!!

Kyoto, Ube and Hiroshima!!!!

JAPAN | Friday, 31 July 2009 | Views [1165] | Comments [3]

Dressed up for summer festival in Yukata

Dressed up for summer festival in Yukata

Hi all,

So Iam now settled in Singapore.  My accomodation is decent and my room mate is a Kiwi so we get on :-)  The flat is big, and equiped with everything.  I have registered at the University, and well I was worried about the strict rules but they are forgotton about, plenty of alcohol, drinking and partying with the rest of the exchange students :-)

I am really looking forward to the year ahead plus all the great access to travel....so exciting.

Ok so back to the rest of the travels around Japan.  From Tokyo I caught the express to Kyoto, I only had one night which is a shae it is a beautiful city, lots and lots of temples, but they also still have an old part of town which was still in the traditional style, it was great to walk around and see all the Geisha.  They still get hired by men....but they are happy to let the tourists take photos.

So moving on from a jam packed day in Kyoto, I got up early and went off to see my friend Naoko.  I had to change trains twice, but it is so efficient and on time there is no drama and so easy to naivigate.  So I made it to Ube and was met by Naoko and her friend Kichiko who also is training to be a doctor.  It was raining heavily and there were floods  and land slides in the area, but we were safe :-)

I had the best time as we celebrated the summer festival, with fireworks and Naoko and her friends also dressed me up in the traditional summer Yukata outfit, please see the photos :-) It was lots of fun!!!!!

Naoko showed me around her town and we went to the big fish markets, which is down at the bridge you cross to get to the south island and we ate fresh sushi so delicious I even ate the raw sushi but so goooooddddd!!!!

From Ube Naoko and her Friend Itio drove me to Hiroshima which is 2 hrs by car...Very nice :-)  WE went to the famous shrine on the island just off the coast called I think Mimiji....Very beautiful and funny but the island is full of deer...Then we went into Hiroshima to the peace park which was really informative and it was sad...in the beginning it was covered up about what the fall out effects of the bomb were and it was really awfull....The HIroshima givernment to this day writes letters to all the governments around the world encouraging them to stop Nuclear tests and work towards peace.  Hiroshima has become the symbol of peace.  It was good to visit.

So after all that I said goodbye to Naoko and her friend and stayed in Hiroshima that night.  The next day I went back to Tokyo for a night and then the next day flew to Singapore.  I went to and from Japan on Singapore airlines on the massive jumbo airbus, I couldn't believe how long it took to take off...So I had the best time In Japan and Hope I can one day go back as there is so much to see and do...

So now its Singapore for one year and its so exciting.

HOpe you are all well and I will keep up with the stories.

Bye bye

Katie XXXX

Comments

1

hey Katie
great stories. you look beautiful in the kimino. I am so glad that you went to the Peace park and that you had a great time with Naoko.
Keep on writing so that we can travel
with you
Travel Safe
Love MumXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

  Sue Finlayson Aug 4, 2009 9:42 PM

2

Hi Katie
Blondy is helping me type this , Dasch is lying on the hot floor in a trance....
Hope you are all settled in at the uni and it wasn't too difficult. The trip to Japan sounded wonderful, well worth the effort to go and visit your friend Naoko.I guess you will be going back there some time soon.
Take care and enjoy all the fab food.
Judy, Ross , Blondy and Dasch.

  judy and ross Aug 10, 2009 8:46 AM

3

Hi Katie
Megan came to stay one night last weekend for her work day at the florist. She gave us your gift, thankyou it is so cute I will put the kitties allowance in it.....so they can save up for their escape.
Hope all is well and it sounds like you are enjoying yourself. We are off to the races on Saturday alas no money in the envelope any more.
Take care
Love from Jude and Ross, Blondy and Dasch

  judith Aug 20, 2009 3:41 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.