Existing Member?

Robbie Hey everybody!! This journal was set up to keep everyone up to date with my travels through China and Vietnam. I will be volunteering in China up in the north west part of the country in a city called Urumqi for 13 weeks, helping out (hopefully) with teaching english. I will then have some time in Beijing to explore the sights. I then move on to Vietnam to meet up with my mum for a few days in Ho Chi Minh then fly up to Hanoi to volunteer with a local volunteer agency SJ Vietnam for 10 weeks. Then I fly home just in time for my 21st birthday. This journal will keep you up to date with all my volunteering adventures!!

The Great Wall experience!!

CHINA | Sunday, 29 July 2007 | Views [3817]

Climbing the Great Wall of China..

Climbing the Great Wall of China..

Hey everybody.  Sorry about my last post, I should have put a language warning with the page.  I was caught up in the moment, being very angry with what had happened in Shanghai and some less than desirable words slipped out on to the page, so my apologies.  I have now edited the page and made it "G rated".

Ok well I am feeling very happy, I just love Beijing.  It's a great city easy to navigate and so many amazing sights to visit.  I have had the best time and suggest to anyone coming to China not to leave it out of the itinery.  I have been to see the summer palace again as my first visit was short and I didn't get to explore very much.  It's just beautiful, a huge lake that you can rent a paddle boat on and nice trees you can rest under, a great place to escape the city.

I also went back to Tianamen square, it really is huge but it was a lot busier than last time I was here.  I missed out on seeing Mao as the Musoleum was under construction...Oh well I'm sure in this heat he was a bit stinky..I have never really been a shopaholic, but I have converted here in China, I think its the bargaining, its so much fun and you can get things really cheap like down a 3/4 of the price they ask.  So yes my bag is full up again with presents and souviners, its like Christmas!!

The night market was interesting to visit.  The hostel I am in is really close to the sights, so walking is no problem.  The night market was like one giant BBQ, but with anything they could think of to grill up.  You had choices from Lamb, chicken, crab, oysters to the more adventurious like centipede, seahorse, starfish, squid, octopus, and I think even snake (not sure what it was).  Really interesting and some of it very tasty, I stuck with a version of the lebanese kebab back home, delicious..

So onto the HIGHLIGHT one of the seven wonders of the world.  The GREAT WALL OF CHINA, and I think it was ment to keep out bigger things than rabbits.  It goes on for ever up over the mountains, must of been crazy to build it, anyone who died was just buried up in the wall.  It really was unbeleivable to think I was standing on the great wall.  Its hard to write it down in words but it will be a memory to stay with me forever.  It also rained while I was up there, just added to the experience as the surrounding mountains were covered in mist.  My poncho finally came to some use.  I also got to catch the cable car up to the wall, a white nuckled experience for me, I think my fear of heights is getting worse.  The trip to the wall was a great way to finish my China trip.  I have had the best time and can't wait to come back and visit again.  

So I have got my visa from the embassy and I am set to go to Vietnam.  Can't wait to see everyone there.  Bye from China, I have had a great time and will miss it.  Lots and lots of love from Katie XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 

Tags: Sightseeing

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.