Existing Member?

Robbie Hey everybody!! This journal was set up to keep everyone up to date with my travels through China and Vietnam. I will be volunteering in China up in the north west part of the country in a city called Urumqi for 13 weeks, helping out (hopefully) with teaching english. I will then have some time in Beijing to explore the sights. I then move on to Vietnam to meet up with my mum for a few days in Ho Chi Minh then fly up to Hanoi to volunteer with a local volunteer agency SJ Vietnam for 10 weeks. Then I fly home just in time for my 21st birthday. This journal will keep you up to date with all my volunteering adventures!!

Getting Shanghai'd in Shanghai!!

CHINA | Saturday, 21 July 2007 | Views [1356] | Comments [2]

This is night time near Yu yuan garden and the famous tea house where the Queen and Bill Clinton visited.

This is night time near Yu yuan garden and the famous tea house where the Queen and Bill Clinton visited.

Hey everyone, hope you are all well.  So Shanghai, what can I say...

First let me say, I do NOT like Shanghai.  I had heard mixed stories about it, people both liking it and people disliking it.  I had heard about being ripped off and to watch out for the scams but while I was prepared for it, it did not help me.  So its great to be back on the east coast again, getting slowly closer to Vietnam.  Ok so on with the story that was bound to happen to me eventually somewhere in China.

So the flight was a bumpy ride to Shanghai from Xi'an, it also ended up being a night flight, which I was trying to avoid.. But times were changed and flights delayed, it was out of my hands.  I had learnt from my first trip to Beijing to always have your address written down in Chinese, I had this but it did not help the taxi driver in the least...I had tried to organise airport pickup but the stupid hostel did not reply, so it was off on a joy ride taxi trip, the driver having no idea where he was going.  We ended up at the Bund, pretty at night, but I was freaking out thinking he will just keep on driving and I will have to sleep in the cab.. So I quickly as we passed a hotel pointed and said stop, though we didn't understand each other, he got the idea and stopped.  So I paid my whopping 300 yuan about $50 cab ride and dragged all my stuff up and into this big fancy hotel looking like a bum and sweating all over the place as the place is as humid as hell.  I was thinking  why didn't I have a plan B for another hostel while I forked out 600 yuan for one NIGHT, $100.  Yes I just wanted to curl up and cry, I didn't budget for this..But I had a bed a very big and comfortable though not worth a $100 bed for the night.  So that night I worked out alternative accomodation, and easily moved there the next day.  My 6 nights here cost half the price of the one night at the big hotel. 

So having not such a great start to my stay in Shanghai, kinda gave me a bad impression.  I was going to go to the Yangzi from here for a couple of days, but the tour didn't work out, so I tried to make the best of Shanghai.  This is the first place in China that people have really bothered me to try and buy things or to go and practice their english with them or donate money, you can't walk 500m without being annoyed...I am happy to give money to the poor people who look like they need it but not when they are latching onto you and following you down the street..So I guess my luck was up and it all came raining down on me in Shanghai.  My second day in Shanghai after successfully finding my cheap accomodation, I was having a wander down Nanjing rd the popular shopping street, feeling happier when I was approached by three girls, who I tried my best to shake but they were persistent, dragging me to look at their art show which happened to be ending that day.  They walked me through there works, then started telling me about not getting any money from the governemnt, so they were selling their works for funding of their studies.  I was cornered, I had read and heard many stories about it, but they had me feeling guilty and handing over money for one of the works.  So now Shanghai sorry but I hate you.

So the rest of my time in Shanghai got better, the shopping is really good and it really is beautiful at night with all the lights.  I went on the night cruise down the HuangPu river with some quirky German girls from my dorm room and I visited the Oriental Pearl tower.  It is really high, I am still scared of heights, and was happy to hit the ground again.  The weird thing about it though was that they have this section devoted to the space program...I got to see ET in Shanghai and ride a rollercoaster, really strange but fun. 

So Shanghai, don't get me wrong I am having the best time and I know the scams were just around the corner, but it does put a dampner on things try as you might to stop it.   I have visited all the sights and walked around in the hot smog dripping with sweat but am enjoying all the experiences, once the pannick goes away.  Also I now have Harry to keep me company, so excited the last book finally arrives.  I'm off to Beijing on Monday, to sort out visas and Vietnam. 

So I am glad I have seen Shanghai but I will not be coming back any time soon.  Great Wall here I come, the last place I really want to see before its good-bye to China and hello Vietnam.  Well bye for now.

Lots of love from KatieXXXXXXXXXXXXXXMISSING EVERYONE........

Tags: I should have known better!

Comments

1

Hey robbie!!!!Julius and i are very sorry to hear about your visit to shanghai....it looks like a stinky,dirty city!!!We love hearing about all your funny adventures(IM ALWAYS IN FITS OF LAUGHTER).Miss you heaps.Hope you have a better time in beijing,you are very brave to do this all alone.Sending big hugs from australia to china xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Lots of love and monkey kisses Megan and Julius :-)

  Megan and Julius Jul 24, 2007 12:16 PM

2

dear k8e
sorry shanghai wasn't so good- like u said it had to happen sometime. u have towatch yor turn of phrase as Dad cann't open it at work as the filters won't allow certain language.
11 sleeps to go
Luv Mum Dad & Smelly Henry

  katie_rose Jul 24, 2007 8:18 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.