Existing Member?

Robbie Hey everybody!! This journal was set up to keep everyone up to date with my travels through China and Vietnam. I will be volunteering in China up in the north west part of the country in a city called Urumqi for 13 weeks, helping out (hopefully) with teaching english. I will then have some time in Beijing to explore the sights. I then move on to Vietnam to meet up with my mum for a few days in Ho Chi Minh then fly up to Hanoi to volunteer with a local volunteer agency SJ Vietnam for 10 weeks. Then I fly home just in time for my 21st birthday. This journal will keep you up to date with all my volunteering adventures!!

Xi'an and the Warriors!

CHINA | Friday, 13 July 2007 | Views [1208] | Comments [2]

Me and the warriors..

Me and the warriors..

Hey everyone back home, hope you are all well.  Only 3 weeks till Vietnam.  Hey Meg sorry I let slip couldn't help it, I'm still laughing about it!!

So from Chengdu it was a short but bumpy ride.  Xi'an is another big Chinese city, but very ordered and very modern.  It's the home of the bring the west to the east campaign.  I'm still loving having Mcdonalds and Star bucks, terrible I know, but I have been eating Chinese food for three months now, so a nice fatty mcfatty burger goes down well.  So again Xi'an is so different both in the people and the culture and the pronunciation, so now I am really misunderstood.

So Xi'an, I have explored and walked and walked and even rode a bike.  I wish I was getting fitter but sad I am still very very unfit.  So I visited the Bell and Drum tower and visited the city wall.  I rode the whole way around, I think 12km, they give you a 100 minutes to get your bike back to the bike station.  Wow was I buggered I only just made it, plus I didn't get to make many stops because you really don't get much time.  But it was so much fun and you got some good views, but the down side was a very sore bum as the ride is not so smooth...

So onto the high light and the reason for visiting Xi'an the world famous warriors.  They are beautiful and very detailed, each has its own features and at one stage they were coloured but sadly having been buried for so long its all but vanished.  Very amazing and a great day, it was even fairly cool today a nice change from the usual sweat sweat and smog filled haze that you usually walk around in.  I opted to take a tour, which was an ok price, but taking a tour comes with down sides, the detours to silk factories and other sights before you even reach the warriors, but it was worth it all to see them.  The hostel I am staying in now is good, though I am now sharing and well its ok, but theres a snorer, the only thing I can't sleep through...So Having so much fun but very tired, it feels like I have been away forever and I haven't even made it to Vietnam yet.  So Shanghai is the next stop, hopefully from here I can get to the Yantzi, its backtracking but I have a while in Shanghai and I really want to see it before the dam is complete.  Wow I am so lucky, getting to see so much, bit over loaded actually but taking lots of photos to capture it all.

Oh and meg this will cheer you up if dads been giving you a hard time, yes I had another very PUBLIC fall.  I really should watch where I am walking but before I knew it I was Arse over tit and hitting the ground.  I quickly got up as if nothing happened...I continue to make a dick of my self, ahhh well at least I don't know whats been said about me.

Ok well love you all and miss everyone and home and my bed and can't wait to see you in Vietnam...Ok next stop Shanghai.  Look after yourselves.  Lots of love Katie XXX

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

Oh Kate the warriors look amazing . Bring one home for me with the Panda . That is a great photo of you . Counting the days - 20 from tomorrow.
Travel safe and watch where you are walking
Love Mum & Dad XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

  katie_rose Jul 13, 2007 10:08 PM

2

Hi Robbie!!!!Thanks so much for my beautiful postcard.The pandas are so cute!!The warriors look amazing.Hope u are enjoying shanghi.Lots of love and hugs from australia XXXXXXXXXXXX

  Megan Jul 18, 2007 3:42 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.