Existing Member?

"The Compelling Chronicles Of America, Moon & Honey" by Jacy & Damien Chalcraft. “Not all those who wander are lost.” — J. R. R. Tolkien

"Come on! Feel the Illinoise!"

USA | Tuesday, 14 August 2012 | Views [1217]

10:00am Thursday morning, August 2nd we boarded a plane at LaGuardia airport & made the 2-hour flight from New York to Chicago touching down at OHare airport, just north of Chicago city, at 2:00pm. A shuttle drove us to our hotel & we checked into The Blackstone Renaissance around 3:00pm. Beautiful hotel & located literally across the road from Grant Park where Lollapalooza was to begin tomorrow morning. We were both starving hungry, having eaten nothing but dirty breakfast baguettes at NYC airport before leaving & we knew exactly where we wanted to eat. On our second week in the states, whilst traveling on the Amtrak from LA to San Francisco, we watched a show wed downloaded called Man VS Food whereby the host eats his way around the US attempting ridiculous eating challenges. He does however, visit an array of iconic restaurants that sounded great to eat at, so wed been taking note of where theyre situated & eating there when we roll into town. Places like Pinks Hotdogs in Hollywood, Phils BBQ in San Diego, Alice Coopertown in Phoenix & we were on our way to Als Beef in Chicago. Als Beef is famous for their 8inch slow-cooked, shaved roast beef, hot peppers & cheddar cheese sub which is then dipped in the juices that the beef has roasted in. It took a good 15 minutes, 20 plus napkins, some loud encouragement & gold-medal persistence to stomach both subs, but we both triumphed. We both agreed, they were the most delicious subs wed ever had & were ever likely to have again. This wasnt to be our last visit. So full that we almost needed walking frames, we wandered down to the foreshore where we could begin to hear bands doing sound checks. Noticing a large line at the front gate, we enquired as to the reason, to be told that people were collecting their wristbands so they didnt have to wait in line when gates opened tomorrow. Brilliant timing. We got in line & received our 3-day Pass Wristbands. Afterwards we walked through the Grant Park Gardens around the perimeter of the festival gates & listened to Black Sabbath & NERO doing their sound checks. It was a really exciting experience. We were getting goose bumps in anticipation for all the incredible bands we were about to witness in the days to come. On our way back to the hotel we stopped by a liquor store where we found a 6 pack of Chocolate Stouts! We returned to the hotel to have a couple of beers & listen on the computer to all the bands we were seeing tomorrow. I barely slept a wink that night. I was so excited.

Friday morning we leapt out of bed did a couple of star-jumps & air-kicks before slapping on our Lollapalooza wristbands. An epic moment right there. Wed decided that itd be a good idea to get in a good hearty breakfast as is a sensible idea before attending any festival, so we went to the hotel restaurant downstairs & shared an Eggs Benedict & Fruit salad. Top notch. Complete redemption. This was the breakfast I was searching for in New York city! After breakfast we smothered ourselves in sunscreen, loaded all our essentials into the fanny-pack & set off to Lollapalooza. It was 36 degrees & each day was completely sold out, 300,00 punters over the course of 3 days. Absolutely massive, however everything was completely catered for. The festival was so well organized unlike the ones in Australia. There were more than enough portable toilets, there were at least 60 different food & drink stalls all of which were local restaurants selling their signature dishes at an average price of $5! Water cost $2 & was sold in biodegradable cardboard containers (plus free water filling stations around the park), beers were $6 a stubby or $8 for a 16oz cup, although we didnt drink. Merch was $20-$30! They had countless vegan, green & gourmet stalls setup, art markets, clothing & absolutely everything else you could imagine. Another fantastic idea too was an activity called Rock & Recycle whereby if you filled a gigantic plastic bag with cans, bottles & recyclables youd receive a free t-shirt & go in the draw to win some wicked prize. At the end of the first day, the park was still immaculate & litter-free. Brilliant idea. The festival organizers in Oz could learn a lot from these guys here in the states that have to accommodate such large numbers of punters & therefore compensate with essential facilities. Throughout Friday we ate amazing Pizza-Pie, Steak Nachos, Pulled Pork Sandwiches & Ice Cream, drank Ice Tea & bared witness to incredible performances by The Black Angels, The War On Drugs, Tame Impala, Metric, Die Antwoord, NERO, Black Sabbath, Bassnectar & The Black Keys. We arrived back at the hotel around 10pm, showered, did a heap of stretches to prevent almost certain injuries after cutting loose during NERO's set, had a cup of tea & went straight to sleep.

Saturday we did much the same. Shared the exact same hearty breakfast, lathered up our sunscreen then joined the festivities. It was a little cooler today which we were thankful for & even the possibility of an afternoon thunderstorm. We arrived to see Aloe Blacc play a killer set then headed off to grab a bite to eat. Mac n Cheese with Australian Truffle & a Chicken Burrito. Whilst we were eating Cheese On A Stick around 2:30pm Jacy received a notification on her phone from Lollapalooza saying A very large thunderstorm is heading towards Chicago City. Everyone must evacuate, please proceed to your nearest exit. We chatted with an official who assured us this is correct & that everyone must evacuate immediately. It was hard to believe, as the sky didnt look all that threatening but they were very serious about it. So within 30 minutes, 100,000 people were ushered out the gates & onto the streets. It was absolute chaos. The streets stopped moving, pubs, restaurants & underground car parks flooded with people, it was utterly insane. Jacy & I went back up to our hotel room, cracked & beer & just waited it out. Moments after wed reached our room the sky opened up. Lightening, thunder, gale-force winds & torrential rain pummelled the city & anyone out in the open. After nearly a solid hour the sky cleared up & a glimmer of hope returned. Nobody knew if the festival would continue at this stage & the network was complete jammed so we couldnt find anything out on the interweb. At around 5:30pm we decided wed go for a walk down there. As we did so, the gates reopened & started allowing everyone back in. As soon as we walked in, the bands started playing again & everything resumed as normal. They pushed all the time slots back an hour to compensate, slightly shortened a couple of sets & unfortunately cancelled The Temper Trap. The park was a mess. Puddles, mud & lakes of soggy slush had appeared everywhere & kids were loving it. There were people in their bathers completely black, covered from head to toe in mud. Hilarious. We found a great spot between our two main ovals atop a large hill with a great view & from there we watched Bloc Party & Red Hot Chili Peppers, drank Iced Tea & ate Grilled Chicken Burgers & Lobster Dagwood Dogs. It was a great day, thunderstorm aside & testament as to how organized this event really is, to be able to successfully execute a masses evacuation & readmission. Kudos Perry Farrel & co.

Sunday we repeated our routine with our usual Eggs Benedict & fruit salad breakfast. We decided to hang at the hotel for a little while before heading into the festival today as our first band started at 2pm. At around 12pm we took a stroll up the street & revisited our good friend Al & dined on another of his Dipped Roast Beef Subs. 6 inches sandwiches this time though. So delicious. From there we went to Lolla & throughout the day, had the pleasure of seeing White Rabbits, Gary Clark Jnr, Little Dragon, Sigur Ros, Gaslight Anthem, At The Drive-in, Florence + The Machine & Jack White. Our food delights of the evening were Pizza Pies, Burritos, Ice Tea & my first ever Wheat Grass Shot. Funky. As we strolled through the markets that afternoon we stopped by a particular stall that did portraits of musicians. The artist William Bill Stidham, pointed to the TOOL shirt I was wearing & exclaimed how hed be painting Maynard next. Upon discovering we were Australian, he introduced us to his friend sitting behind him: Trent. We discussed how we had visited Maynards Cellar door at Caduceus & Arizona Stronghold to which we discovered that he was the owner of Sip n Listen on the Gold Coast, the only company in Australia exclusively allowed to import Maynards wines! He was setting up a business venture with Bill & his art to be distributed around Australia. We all exchanged emails & Trent asked us to get in touch with him when were home, should we want to purchase art & wine. We went back to the stall later that afternoon & bought a heap of drink coasters off Bill & chatted about him having his art on display at Big Day Out 2013 in Perth. We offered our services should he need workers & we swapped contact details. We left that evening feeling rather exhausted but accomplished with the fact that wed just experienced the biggest music festival of our lives. So many incredible bands, foods & a couple of cool new friends in the art & wine business. We packed our suitcases that night, had a cup of Earl Grey & watched the Olympics until we fell asleep.

Monday morning was our time to say goodbye to Chicago. A short but sweet visit. One that will never be forgotten & a handful of bands that we had the pleasure of discovering & will be investing in upon returning home. For festival goers & music enthusiasts, Lollapalooza is just one of those events you have to experience at least once in your life. It completely exceeded our expectations. We smashed in one last Eggs Benedict & Fruit Salad breakfast (this meal is particularly hard to come by in the US. For some reason hollandaise is as rare as rocking horse shit over here. As previously mentioned, they prefer sweet food for breakfast). Our shuttle collected us at 9am & took us to OHare airport. Sporting festival sunglass-tans, Lollapalooza T-shirts & undisguisable musical-inspired grins from ear to ear, we boarded the 4hour flight to Seattle to get our grunge on. 

 
 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.