Existing Member?

"The Compelling Chronicles Of America, Moon & Honey" by Jacy & Damien Chalcraft. “Not all those who wander are lost.” — J. R. R. Tolkien

"Viva Las Vegas"

USA | Monday, 23 July 2012 | Views [896] | Comments [2]

On the way to breakfast at Starbucks we encountered this statue in the Lobby, pretty much sums up all the gamblers in Las Vegas

On the way to breakfast at Starbucks we encountered this statue in the Lobby, pretty much sums up all the gamblers in Las Vegas


....Las Vegas you son of a bitch.

There is nothing normal about this godforsaken city. We drove 272miles (438kms), 4.5hours through the desolate Nevada desert to get there. Midway through it, the sky suddenly opened up unlike anything we'd ever experienced before & showered down torrential rain upon our poor little Ford Fiesta. Traffic went from 140kph to 30kph within seconds, as visibility shortened to a generous 20 metres. Poor Jacy freaked out when the semi-trailer in front of us slammed on it's anchors & started bleeping it's hazard lights, but I work with semi's back in Perth & almost expected it to happen. It was a crazy storm that lasted for maybe 15 minutes then completely passed over us. Unreal. The landscape through the desert was something out of this world. Beautiful, huge rocky mountains & deep almost bottomless, cascading valleys. You'd ascend up one side of the mountain & 40minutes later begin descending down the other side. This situation went on for hours until some 4 hours later we declined over the largest mountain yet & appearing before us was this astonishingly tall, dense & brightly lit city that proclaimed Las Vegas! Unbelievably hot, as you'd expect being in the desert centre, we made our way through all the twists & turns, 50 ft tall LCDs, water fountains, roller-coasters & casinos to the underground garage of the "Imperial Palace". I enquired to the concierge as to the whereabouts of the front desk in order to check in. Following his instructions led us; down two escalators, past an arcade, through an entire shopping mall, through a cocktail bar, into a casino & to the very back of the casino on the right hand side...was the hotel reception. Hallelujah! Giving the ol' aussie honeymoon spiel scored us a penthouse suite upgrade to the 16th floor. Bonus. It was pretty over the top. There was an enormous jacuzzi in the corner of the room, flat screen tv, high-rise balcony, two bathrooms, all the unnecessary trimmings PLUS (in true Vegas style) mirrors on the roof above the bed & spa. Wtf!? Really? It made us feel dirty thinking what these mirrors would have seen. Shortly after arriving, we gathered our belongings & headed down to floor 2 & got ourselves cozy around the pool. The pool bar-geezer hooked us up with two of the most amazing Cerveza style beers that we'd ever tasted. Far better than Corona. Named 'Dos Equis' pronounced doss-eccies. Whilst we were relaxing in the jacuzzi sipping our first brews of the day, a thunderstorm passed overhead. People began clearing out of the packed pool area but it was still like 35-degrees so even the sprinkling rain didn't phase us. It wasn't until the lightening started & due to regulation everyone must exit all water-filled areas, that the fun ended. And it did. But only momentarily. We walked back up to our hotel, through the mall & stopped by a deli to collect 4 Corona longnecks & a bag of chocolate. Got upstairs, filled the jacuzzi with hot water & suds & kicked back listening to tunes eating chocolate, drinking beer for a good couple of hours. By this time it must have been pushing 7pm & we had a pre-booked heli ride downtown. We grabbed the next cab that took us where we needed, logged in, received our complimentary champagne, jumped on a shuttle bus out to the heli terminal, received the run down, boarded -amongst incredible winds & lifted off in a helicopter tour of Las Vegas! I'm personally, not very fond of heights but after Knott's Berry Farm (+ a champagne) I thoroughly enjoyed this. We received a complete commentary/tour of all the iconic buildings, clubs, venues & brief histories of each, all the while levitating thousands of feet above the mesmerizing city lights of Vegas. It was by far, the most dazzling tour we've had to date. After landing & making our way back to the hotel, past all the grifters on the street attempting to sell me prostitutes we dined at "Embers" restaurant on the 3rd floor of the Imperial Palace. We were both so damn hungry from our day-long journey, fed up with booze & just in need of some decent food that we ordered the most typical foods on the menu, that turned out so beautifully presented, well-cooked, delicious & filling. I had steak with cheddar mash & Jacy had salmon with roasted honey sweet potato. Incredible. We slept really well that night. And long into the next day.

We awoke the following morning feeling a little rough & stampeded toward our complimentary breakfast at the hotel/casino next door. It was a desperate mission which required many flights of stairs & direction changes but after enquiring with an extremely weathered, leather-skinned casino worker as to where the hell we needed to be, she pointed us to the nearest Starbucks. We had $18 credit to spend each day. Which of course didn't include any savory foods, only pastries, muffins, cookies & other undesirable sugary foodstuffs. Two large coffees did the trick although the cashier couldn't fathom why we didn't spend the remaining credit on sweets. We're Australian, we don't eat sweets for breakfast is why! Chowed down a delicious fruit salad then went about our journeys. We spent the next couple of hours walking up & down the main strip checking out a number of alternative clothing stores & bizarre underground malls. The temperature was peaking at it's high 30s by this stage & after hunting for a specific sandwich place for over 30minutes we gave up & returned to the hotel for a swim. We ordered club sandwiches by the pool that were quite tasty but came with an 8liter-bucket size tray of fries that we didn't ask for or eat. Foolishly our first drinks for the day were 32oz Long Island Ice Teas served in a souvenir Imperial Palace yard glass. I really don't know what we were thinking with them... Regrets were to follow. At around 5pm, wrinkled by the pool & baked by the sun we returned to the hotel room, changed attire & ventured out to a Japanese restaurant we had seen during that day. Fantastic food. Top notch Japanese & we ordered another typically Vegas style drink; a mixture of various whites spirits & sake served in a fish bowl. I forget the time, but so I am told, at some point during the night I went to the toilets & disappeared for over 30minutes. I returned flustered & disorientated after getting myself horribly lost, got the bill & exclaimed "I am too drunk & fed up, I want to go home!" Jacy took me back to the hotel, past the grifters who received words of poison from me as they again tried to sell me hookers, through the door, hit the pillow & passed out dead-weight.

I woke up the next morning feeling like a bag of ripped assholes. We both did for that matter. It was time to leave. We bolted next door to the Starbucks for live-saving coffees & forked out $9 for dirty sausage & egg burgers. We returned to our room, carelessly threw all our belongings in our suitcases, checked out, loaded the car & high-tailed it... used & abused like the countless others who like us, had been chewed up & spat out by Sin City.

As we drove off into the distant mountainous landscape of the Nevada desert on our 483km journey to Arizona, we couldn't help but flip the bird to the sign reading 'you are now leaving Las Vegas'. 

 

Comments

1

hahaha you guys get me into trouble reading your blog at work and sitting here laughing out loud. Awesome reading yet again.

  Mum Jul 23, 2012 10:01 AM

2

I agree, Vegas is a flat-out hell hole! I got stranded there a few months back and I will NEVER go back again! Even for free! It's a shithole in every sense of the word!

  kiwiaoraki Jul 24, 2012 1:48 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.