Existing Member?

World on a Shoestring A beginnger's guide to traveling around the world...as written by beginners...

Khawp khun khrap, Thailand

THAILAND | Sunday, 27 May 2007 | Views [2255] | Comments [1]

Our final days in Thailand were spent watching the clock roll by as we roamed the city of Bangkok, or perhaps caught a bad movie on the cable TV we were lucky enough to have in our room.

Aside from watching our TV and enjoying our AC, we spent some quality time at some of the nicest malls we've ever had the privilege of shopping at; we're talking the kind of malls that would make even Cher from "Clueless" blush.  Actually; it was not one, but five malls of varying degrees of formality:  at the bottom of the ladder was MBK, which wasn't much more than an indoor market.  In between that and the mall of opulence, The Paragon, they all sort of blend together.  But The Paragon is absolutely the highest class mall, putting my hometown mall, the King of Prussia Mall, to absolute shame.  Seven floors of absolutely the best shops in the world; and at the very top, Nirvana:  the puh-lushest movie theater to ever show movies, so of course we had to stay and watch a film or two...and eat more popcorn than we thought possible.  And it was nice that my father could join us, too!

   

Our final night was spent with our very good friend from France, Ronan, performing magic tricks; the three of us single handedly made two bottles of Thai whiskey disappear.  And every story comes a moral, and the moral of this one is that Genny can’t handle her Thai whiskey, regardless of whether or not it happens to be 80 proof...which it was.  Along with our whiskey, we decided to try some local delicacies:

           

So, for the sake of our parents blood pressure, we bid a fond farewell to Southeast Asia.  This part of our adventure has taught us some strong lessons, and introduced us to traveling the likes of which we had never experienced.  We leave this country better people and stronger people than when we entered, and that alone makes this trip worth every Baht.

Tags: Philosophy of travel

Comments

1

Where is the Pagoda Mall? Haven't heard about it. I know about Siam Paragon and Discovery Centre and World Centre. And the MBK has a super Food Centre and cinemas.

  Dave May 30, 2007 5:33 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.