Existing Member?

World on a Shoestring A beginnger's guide to traveling around the world...as written by beginners...

Forging Ahead

NEW ZEALAND | Thursday, 1 March 2007 | Views [2341] | Comments [4]

Lamb and Tuna Fish

Plaids and Stripes

Milk and Beer

George Bush and Thinking

Knives and Moonshine

Each of these is an example of things that when combined, do not mesh well.  In all honestly, these things should be banned and legally kept at least 100 meters apart. 

But, for a scant NZ$95 per person, the last example can be yours, and will undoubtedly prove to be the highlight of any trip.

We were a bit apprehensive at first about whether we should make the knives, but once we asked around, the word that kept coming up was "Brilliant!" so we figured we had no choice.

Your day starts with introductions to Steven and Robyn Martin, the proprietors of Barrytown Knifemaking (www.barrytownknifemaking.com).  Now, Barrytown itself is a whole other post, and I promise you that the cross dressing that goes on there is the least ridiculous aspect of this town populated by only 400 people.  But I digress...

Steven gives you this:

After introductions to the owners, the forging commences.  With steel rod in hand, you stab the forging fire, wait for the metal to glow red, then pound on the metal like it stole your lunch money!  After you've shaped the knife, you move on to setting the brass guard, making the handle out of raw timber, and then sharpening the knife to fine edge.  The whole process takes about seven hours, including a free lunch.  In the end, you've created an impressive knife.  With minimal help from the master, Steven, you've gone from nothing to something.

 

  This is what the knife looks like just before lunch.  At this point, we're not even halfway done!!

Now, a bit on Steven.  Not to be confused with Steve Martin, the actor, our Steven is quite an entertainer himself, regaling us with unusual stories, anecdotes, and facts throughout the process.  Don't be mislead:  this New Zealand rural dweller is highly skilled, highly intelligent, and has a wit sharper than some of the knives he produces!

In addition to knife making, he also has axe throwing on the property, and a giant swing that looks over the ocean.  And once you've settled the payment (never skip out on money owed to a professional knife maker) he let's you drink from his seemingly endless bottle of home-made moonshine.  Needless to say, once gen and I had left his house on our walk back to our tent, we had each tied one on nicely!

So thank you to Steven and Robyn for a wonderful experience, best of luck with the boat, and we look forward to using our knives for many years to come!

    

Tags: People

Comments

1

When you get your head out of the clouds you will realize that George Bush has in someways made your trip a little safer. Someday I hope you will realize that there is an entire generation will to give thier life to end yours. Does history repeat itself (1940's Hitler) Think about it

  The Man from Uncle Mar 2, 2007 4:54 AM

2

Hi Jen and Jake: Speaking as a parent, you both looked so pathetic after your four day hike, but being young, seem to have rebounded. Be well and happy trail! l. Marsha and Leo

  Marsha Bird Mar 4, 2007 1:53 AM

3

I hope when you get your head out of the clouds you realize that Man from Uncle not be so good at grammar.

  ME Mar 7, 2007 12:30 PM

4

I'M QUITING MY JOB THIS SUMMER AND I HAVE DECIDED TO MOVE DOWN TO WILDWOOD AND OPEN A KNIFE MAKING TOURIST ATTRACTION....NO MAKE THAT HARLEM.....NO..NO..BACK TO SOUTHWEST PHILADELPHIA...NOW THAT THEY ARE TRYING TO GET ALL THE GUNS OFF THE STREETS, I'LL MAKE A KILLING
(NO PUN)THE WAY THEY ARE EXTERMINATING THEMSELVES EACH WEEK-END...??????? WHO IS THIS MAN FROM UNCLE AND WHAT'S THIS HITLER STUFF...WILLING TO GIVE THEIR LIFE
TO END YOURS...THINK ABOUT IT ????? DID I MISS A CHAPTER IN YOUR VACATION OR AM I... ...MILK AND BEER ?

  OLD MAN Mar 13, 2007 11:00 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.