Existing Member?

World on a Shoestring A beginnger's guide to traveling around the world...as written by beginners...

World famous...in New Zealand? FERGBURGER

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 4 March 2007 | Views [12941] | Comments [9]

There's a clever little expression, birthed by L&P, a popular (and tasty) native NZ drink, that goes like this:  "World Famous in New Zealand"

Now, you and I both know that this expression makes no sense.  But 'round these parts, it works.  Everything from drinks, to fruit, to adventure sports carries this title.  And when one brings up adventure sports, there's only one place world famous enough...Queenstown, New Zealand.

But for just a moment, let's put aside the skydiving, the bungy jumping, the river boarding, the canyoning, the hangliding, the stunt helicopters, the dirt biking, or the mountain biking.  Let's move on to something a bit more extreme:  EXTREME EATING!

What Jake and Genny world tour would be complete without challenging our apetites and our intestinal capacities?  I dare say, we would regret our travels if we did not partake!  That having been said, welcome to Queenstown, home of the Fergburger!!

Now, this small establishment "sandwiched" (pun intended) between a large clothing store and a national mortgage company on Shotover Street, sits unassumingly whilst tourists meander past, unawares that they are in the presence of greatness.  The few that are turned on to the wonder that is the Fergburger, spread the word like a cancer, giving Fergburger better business than the local McD's (this is the truth:  Ferg sells more burgers a year than the local Golden Arches, forcing the latter to raise their prices). 

There is limited seating at this establishment, so good luck finding a seat.  But if you're interested in satisfying your stomach, and not your bum, then you've come to right place!  There is nothing that they won't put on a burger...and I mean nothing.  Their meat patties range from $8.50 to $15.00, more if you want extras. 

Let's put this in perspective, shall we?  Gen ordered a Cockadoodle Oink, @ $11.50, which consists of butterflied and crumbled chicken breast, american streaky bacon (we don't know what that means), avocado, lettuce, red onion, aioli (a secret sauce), and tomato relish.  Now, Gen likes to keep her eating on the lighter side. 

Jake, on the other hand eats like Napolean conquers!  On their second visit, Jake ordered the BIG AL (cue ominous music). 

BIG AL:  Double patties of beef (1/2 pound), lashings of bacon, a whole lotta cheese, two eggs, beetroot, lettuce, tomato, red onion, a big wad of aoili, avocado, and pineapple.  The total bill on this burger was $17!  And let me just say, it was worth every penny...

(All ingredients quoted directly from menu)

The best part?  This joint's open all night!  From 10 am to 5 am, and sometimes, if you're lucky, later (or earlier, depending on if you've slept yet).

Tags: Food & eating

Comments

1

That just made me hungry! Sounds like you guys are doing well! Miss you and love you!

Oh and the pictures of you guys after your four day hike.....PRICELESS! Gen- Love the face, I think I've seen that one before???

Safe Travels!!!

Marty

  Marty Mar 8, 2007 5:15 AM

2

the big al brought tears to my eyes. Keep giving em hell.

  Scott Mar 9, 2007 9:15 AM

3

PLEASE LET US ALL BACK WEST IN ON THE REAL SCOOP..HOW ABOUT THE FERG-SHITS IN THE MORNINGS...OR THE VEGIE-
KURD-CRAP WORKING IT'S WAY OUT WHEN NOT CLOSE TO HOME BASE IN-ORDER TO PERFORM A SUCCESFUL WIPE JOB !

  OLD MAN Mar 13, 2007 10:37 AM

4

American walks into a Rotorua pub and strikes up a conversation with the Maori locals. He says 'I love that fast food chain you Kiwis have. Puzzled, the local asks ''which one?''. Our American friend repiles "I'm not sure how to pronounce ounce it but it's spelt T-A-K-E-A-W-A-Y-S.''

  Paul Wiggins Jul 19, 2007 12:34 PM

5


Sat 4th August 2007

Hi Jake and Gen

A quick hello to say all your stuff (save for large bottle of some very interesting red sauce from your Far Eastern bit of your journeys) got to the USA via a large extra suitcase that Katherine took (with Jake's CDs in her hand bag, all safe and sound). The red sauce could not be carried by hand for security reasons and we thought it a bit unsafe to put it in the suitcase.

Sorry we won't be able to see you again before your return and so please we did take the opporutnity to do so earlier on.

Apparently (and not surprisingly) Katherine and her friend are having a ball in Philly (and I think so is your mom Jake!). Am waiting to hear how the Warp Tour concert went yesterday.

Am in London waiting for my niece Jennifer and her partner Scott to meet up with me. The weather has been just fab for a couple of days and looks good to stay for a few more days.

Our building works are coming along - a very different house than you left it, let me tell you.

All for now

Love

Loie

  Loie Aug 4, 2007 10:07 PM

6

Random for me to stumble upon this, but i was just in Queenstown and i agree with jake- anyone going there will miss out if they dont eat a fergberger. delicious! and guaranteed to fill you up

  lau Hansen Jul 21, 2008 3:08 PM

7

best buger i have ever had and i come from the land of bugers

  nate hunter Feb 4, 2009 5:24 AM

8

Hi Jake and Gen. Miss you both heaps. Lots of love and hugs and kisses. Love youuu.
Bye bye.
P.s Kiss kiss.

  Ya Mama Aug 21, 2009 8:15 AM

9

I used to hang out at Fergburger every single day for four months! Ahhh, memories! I know I'll go back!

  kiwiaoraki Jan 6, 2011 6:32 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.