Existing Member?

World on a Shoestring A beginnger's guide to traveling around the world...as written by beginners...

All Work and Some Play...

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 20 March 2007 | Views [2072] | Comments [1]

We won't be going insane and hunting each other through a huge hedge maze, but...

Short on dough and long on time, Genny and I found ourselves in New Zealand's largest city (though not the capital) with no capital.  Well, not NO capital, but our funds set aside for New Zealand were depleted, thanks, in part, to my Phad Thai addiction, and Genny's addiction to anything sweet...and thrift shop shopping...and coffee...

Anywho, what to do?  Any reasonable, contributing member of society would do the normal thing and get a job.  As we understood, it was easy to find a job for a few weeks to try and raise funds for moving on.  And low and behold, with ease we were employed.  I by the very company that took us on our tour of New Zealand, Stray, handing out flyers and selling campervans, and Gen by one of the hostels, Base Backpackers Auckland.

Now, the hard part about this was that Genny was working for a hostel in exchange for accomodation, a hostel that was too expensive, at the time, for me to stay at, so for the first week of our fund-raising, it felt like we were back in college, living in two different places (though they were actually only two doors apart from each other, but we were a tragic Romeo and Juliette).  But, once my week lease was up on my dorm, Genny's charm was enough of a reference for me to get work for accomodation for this last week.

So, we "saved" money this week, and I even earned a bit!  At least enough for us to come out on top once we leave NZ.

Thanks to Stray for giving a poor backpacker a chance, and thanks to everyone at Base X Hostel in Auckland, and everyone in the Cleaning Crew...you will be missed, room 302.

Tags: Work

Comments

1

Hey, Jake & Genny,


Nels just got back from Australia after nine months, he is doing well. He became a fruit expert as he was picking them for a bit while there.
hope you are good .

Talk to you soon I hope.

-Dave

  Dave Aug 9, 2007 1:04 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.