Existing Member?

World on a Shoestring A beginnger's guide to traveling around the world...as written by beginners...

A Traditional Spanish St. Patrick's Day

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 19 March 2007 | Views [4574] | Comments [4]

What, you ask, is this?  Well, have no fear, for we are here to satisfy your naive curiousity...

When far from their homes and unable to celebrate the traditional Spanish holiday of St. Patrick's day with family , the only thing left to do is drink as much sangria as the human body will hold...and that we did, stretching our bladders like water balloons.

And we did it on a budget. (In case you don't believe us...)

For a mere $40 NZD ($28 US) we managed to turn no less than seven people purple teethed and red lipped and faced, and into dancing fools, as sangria will do.  And here's how we did it:

Javier, our Spanish liaison, Genny, and I went to the local grocery store, Foodtown, and purchased all that we needed:  two boxes of red wine that came highly recommended by the local winos (at least we think that's what he mumbled), a few incomparable apples and oranges, some brown sugar, some cinnamon, and a few litres of soda.  And, as a real indulgence, we were fortunate to be able to afford ice for the first time this trip...no warm sangria for these Spanish Leprechauns. 

Put 'em together and what have you got?  A bunch of people from all over the world (Sweden, The States, South America, Spain, Malaysia, Wales, Germany, England) really "happy" trying to speak Spanish and failing.

The rest is blurry history.

Some of our international squad:

 Luis:    Our Genny Penny:    Jonathan: 

Our wine consiglieri 

Mark, Monica, Jacqui Gordon:

Tags: Party time

Comments

1

Glad to see that you celebrated a very deep irish holiday, St. Patricks Day. It seems like you guys are having a great time experiencing the world. Certainly beats the snow here at IU! But we've gone sledding and had snowball fights at midnight. Best wishes for the rest of your trip. Keep us posted on your world learning experiences...

  Jessica B. Mar 20, 2007 8:11 AM

2

I think, for once, one of my stories may beat you! LOL While there was no sangria, there was a lot of other stuff I can't remember the names of, a midget bar, a dance club that doesn't really exist, Primanti sandwiches and a sucker punch in a back alley on the way back.... all in less thar 17 hours :) Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  Bryn Mar 24, 2007 12:42 AM

3

OMG! Kinda embrassed my drunk nerd pic on the site. That is like my 4th times in the past 2 years i ever got drunk. Lol, BTW you guys have alot fun in Sydney, I wish i were there. I haven't got enough time to convert stuffs recently, coz been working and planning somethings else, i'll try to zip the original pics and upload to a server ASAP, so stay tuned, right now, have a blessing holiday!!!

  Gordon Y. Mar 25, 2007 9:41 PM

4

looks and sounds like your still having a great time...but where did you meet those people who were helping you make the sangria ? i think i missed a chapter of your journey.

  OLD MAN Mar 27, 2007 9:35 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.