Existing Member?

World on a Shoestring A beginnger's guide to traveling around the world...as written by beginners...

Party Like Its 1999

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 23 April 2007 | Views [1142] | Comments [1]

Its 1999 around here these days, and we're partying accordingly.  New Year's eve, 1999, marked not only a new century, but the dawn of a new millennium.  The changeover was one the world hadn't seen and wouldn't see for 1000 years.  The rare opportunity to watch the centuries roll over and live what so many in the past dreamed of the distance future.  But on the promise of a new horizon came the threat of a storm.  The world was about to skydive into the unknown without a back-up shoot.  And of course, as you're sitting here reading this, there was no financial collapse, no mass hysteria, no fire and brimstone.

With a few short hours separating Gen and I from the next leg of our journey, we've got a bit of the Y2K jitters.  We've become so comfortable in these past months with traveling through these foreign countries that we consider ourselves to be seasoned global trekkers, wholly capable of handling whatever the world throws at us.  This is a bit like a toddler thinking he’s the next Lance Armstrong before he’s removed his training wheels. 

We’ve neglected to take into consideration that we have not yet removed our training wheels.  The past few months have been seemingly simple because we’ve had the stabilization of language aiding us in our transition.  We’ve been able to balance ourselves in an unbalance lifestyle because we have a crutch that we’ve taken for granted.

But all that is about to change.  Before the day runs out, Gen and I will touchdown on truly foreign soil.  Without the crutch of the English language to steady us, we’ll be on shaky legs in a new world.  From the distant western world to the Far East, we’ll be on new ground onto new adventures.

In every person’s life a little travel is necessary.  If what’s on the outside never changes, what’s on the inside stagnates, leaving a vacancy where there should be experiential occupation.  Adventure feeds the soul, nourishes the spirit and is vital to development of self.  Australia understands this, which is why it is the background to some of our best traveling adventure stories thus far.  With hearty and exciting people to accompany the vigorous and exhilarating landscape, Australia is a country that should not be missed by any traveler.  Deceptively large, the warm affability of its people gives OZ the feel of a small town spread over an entire continent.  If it weren’t for our flights out of the country, I dare say that Genny and I could fall in love and plant roots.

Tags: Philosophy of travel

Comments

1

good on ya mate! welcome back anytime
top blog, thanks for the read
random aussie

  R clark May 9, 2007 8:03 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.