Existing Member?

Are we there yet?

No longer for the fun of it

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 26 November 2011 | Views [969]

This dude looks surprisingly like me. Bike doesn't look like Miranda thankfully

This dude looks surprisingly like me. Bike doesn't look like Miranda thankfully

So this is what an average ride has been like during my preparation for my upcoming epico-colossusaurus adventure. I made that word up if you didn't realise, and the use of the word 'average' is anything but appropriate as well. As I sit here with legs lying limp like the puppeteers strings have snapped, my glycogen depleted brain is struggling bravely on with only half its usual um, word delivery system, er 'vocabulary' at its disposal.

The day was never destined for greatness when I was lead to believe that I would be working my third last shift at Matsos. As I finished the previous days shift, deep in the utterly ineffective stage by then, Kate kindly pointed out that I was actually working with her on Thursday. So the day of breaking all personal records was brought forward, ignoring the fact that the 24 hours before the ride was meant to be used gorging on carbs like a pig at a bottomless trough. I did manage to plough through a big bowl of brown rice for dinner, my staple during the training phase.

An early night was made redundant thanks to caffeine playing a Symphony in E twitch on my muscle fibres like David Helfgott on crack. I thought the alarm must have been on crack as well when it went off at 5am. With no Daylight Savings, it was already bright and putting in a few hard yards before it got too hot seemed like a good idea, even in my sleep deprived state. It was already 28 degrees, and that is as cool as it gets this time of year.

I'd tried riding on an empty stomach before and quickly found I work as efficiently as a car with an empty fuel tank. I forced in some cereal and checked the wind report while my insides started poo production. Instead of the usual Westerly, the wind was having an off day and blowing from the north-east. That was my exact direction. I decided that going back to bed was the best option, but it was rather uncomfortable laying there in my bike riding apparel. I checked the wind report again, and in the absence of a cyclone warning, I decided to issue my own idiot warning and hoped on the bike.

I did a quick 10km lap around the relatively sheltered parts of town to prime the pistons for the 3-4 hours work I was going to ask of them. Everything felt pretty good as I headed out of town in a northerly direction. The wind was strong enough to keep the sweating at bay and for a few brief moments everything seemed rather leisurely. As soon as I started lamenting not bringing a picnic basket, the road turned around to the north-east.

The willyweather website had called a 14 knot wind moderate, which was somewhat of an understatement I felt. It seemed like I was merely pedalling to stay vertical. I was moving so slowly I could read ingredients lists on soft drink cans strewn on the side of the road. Lizards would scurry away at my approach, and then fall asleep before I actually passed. Sweat streamed away behind me like horizontal rain. I issued a few profanity laced warnings to the web administrators at willyweather to alleviate the boredom of looking at the same scenery for so long.

The road that leads out of Broome is so dead straight, it's like riding along a builders chalk line. If you fired a bullet along it, the shot would run out of steam before hitting anything. If fired into the wind today, it would probably just hang in the air Matrix like, and land about 5 metres away from the gun. This, and many more metaphysical oddities played through my mind to stave off the thought that simply turning around would propel me home in record time.

It is 33kms out to Roebuck Plains Roadhouse, but at the time it felt further away than the North Pole. I hadn't been that far out of town by road since passing through there with the boys on the Kunnunura road trip 2 years prior. The 180kms an hour we were doing at times seemed like light speed compared to the 18kms an hour I was struggling to maintain.

As the heat increased and the road ahead disappeared in the haze, my motivation and will to live started leaving my body faster than the sweat soaking my skin. I kept singing 'Eye of the tiger' over and over to keep thinking like a champion, but the birds of prey circling overhead just made me feel like impending carrion. The flat scenery was so mundane and repetitive, I felt euphoric when I passed a parking bay, or a telecommunications tower.

But then, out of nowhere, the Roadhouse appeared. Not the prettiest destination I had ever aimed for, but it looked like Eden to me by this point. Had I not needed to refill my 3 litre camelbak, I would have stopped pedalling and let the wind propel me back to Broome without even bothering to turn around. I was sweating profusely and not constantly replacing fluids was condemning myself to a day of dehydration headaches. I thought I smelt like fresh shit, and the immediate attention of hundreds of flies confirmed the fact. It turned out there was a cattle truck refuelling and the blowies just wanted some wet skin to wipe the cow crap off their feet.

I was aiming to ride at least 100kms, but I knew the 40km I had just done were going to be by far the hardest. And as if to punctuate the point, 2 French folk pedalled passed on recumbants looking like their chosen mode of transport was air conditioned. Now I obviously love bike riding, and I'm pretty fond of lounging around in armchairs, but the two pursuits are mutually exclusive as far as I am concerned.

And to prove the superiority of my more vertical method of riding, I quickly headed off to nonchalantly whiz passed the French as they rode, reclined and ate baquettes. With the wind at my tail, I easily maintained an uplifting 35kms an hour. Unfortunately, the recumbants were doing a similar speed. I did eventually draw close enough to overtake, but I intelligently chose to do so on the steepest incline of the whole stretch. I powered by exchanging pleasantries with poorly concealed smugness, so pleased with my undeniable superiority that I somehow overlooked the strain placed on my already overworked legs. By the time I started coasting down the other side, my legs were drowning under a tsunami of lactic acid.

Needing to just roll on through for awhile, the French seized their opportunity and speed passed with a special smugness only the French seem capable of. With my legs having an out of body experience, there was nothing I could do but watch as recumbants proved you could work hard and relax at the same time.

I made it home in half the time it had taken me to get out there, but the ride wasn't done yet. It was 9:30am and I sat down and had my third meal for the day. It was rather odd to have an afternoon nap so early, but I gave it a shot anyway. Without achieving much other than self pity, I hoped back on the bike and rode off again.

This time, I did my usual loop around the streets of Broome. The wind was more benign than battering and tree lined streets offered a modicum of shelter. I have ridden this loop so many times now that I recognise various detritus on the roadside, but Broome is still a pleasant town to ride around. The only highlight of this particular outing was detouring down an out of the way path to the beach and interrupting a guy on bent knee as he proposed to his gushing girlfriend. Unsure whether to interrupt further and offer congratulations, I figured doing so might impel the guy to assume its a 'yes' even in the absence of consent from her. So I pretended it was all a very normal thing to do and rode on by.

Approaching the 100km mark, my body tried to distract me by issuing small complaints from different body parts. Once it realised they weren't going to have the desired effect and make me stop, the pain transferred to another region and intensified, but with similar results. Like the relief a cricketer must feel passing that magic number, every km after the 100km was coasted through with ease. Well, it was flat, wind assisted and I was nearly home by this point and that always takes the venom out of any ordeal.

I made it home by 1:30 after putting 113kms under the tyres. I had drank 5 litres of water and 2 litres of electrolytes. My bum will never be the same again but the rest of my body handled it well. With less than a week before I head to Brisbane, I feel comfortable knowing that what little preparation I have done, might actually be enough. I know that is most definitely not the case, but I am letting myself believe that for now.

Tags: bicycling, preparation, sport

About homeless_harry

A new profile picture was well overdue

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.