Existing Member?

Are we there yet?

On my own again.

THAILAND | Saturday, 6 January 2007 | Views [1336] | Comments [2]

Finally seeing some sun and blue ocean.

Finally seeing some sun and blue ocean.

Not only had my wonderful Australian posse moved on but so had everyone else staying in my bungalows. Sombre grey skies, not a breath of wind, except for those induced by baked beans for breakfast, and barely a ripple on the ocean. It's so quiet I could almost hear myself think. And "What the hell am I doing?" tought Harry, according to Harry.

After being hit with a $411 mobile phone bill, I decided upon an early retirement for something that wasn't all that necessary to bring in the first place. With its one purpose fulfilled, other than merely bankrupting me as quickly as possible, it may be offered up to the Gods in the sacrifiical flames of our bungalow owners coconut fires. I had the time of my life partying with my fourtet, but my budget was reduced to tears by the cost such partying entails. Doing the 26 day retreat in Chiang Mai was looming as the only way I can stretch my holiday beyond the following weekend.

Having had constant company over the previous week, company that I hope will produce lasting friendships, I was craving a quieter lifestyle, at least for the few days I had left at Nai Pan Yai. There was a very appealing chance to see Gemma and Adam again in Chiang Mai, so my thinking is to head there regardless and decide once I was there whether I was up to the challenge of 26 days with just my ego for companionship. Being stuck with that bozo was not the most attractive option I had ever been presented with but definitely in my best interests long term.

With nothing better to talk about at present, I will ramble on about an aspect of life on Nai Pan Yai that leads me into some philosophical rhetoric. Most mornings a tractor rolled past the bungalow at about 7am, precisely 3 and a half hours before I intended, or needed to wake up. Due to the freak tides washing away half the beach's sand content, the tractor was employed for a solid hour, hour and a half tops, to move the sand back to the banks of the buildings. Curse worthy enough they started at our end of the beach as our bungalows provided the easiest path onto the beach.

What this meant for the businesses at the other end of the beach was unclear from their behaviour. Like the tractor drivers, who earnt an entire day of lounging in a hammock by putting in one of the most impressive hours of labour known to anyone inclined to care, the business owners just hung out in their hammocks completely unconcerned that their sand would not be returned to them until the high season next year. If they needed a justification, they probably found one in the most widely held, but somewhat erroneous interpretation of the Buddhist idea of karma. 'You reap what you sow', 'What goes around, comes around', 'Give to each according to his needs, not his desires', and 'The business that waits for the tractor, makes the tractor driver wait for service'.

The last one is from my business mentor when I was setting up my art business. "When you get into business, just remember this, 'The business that waits for the tractor, makes the tractor driver wait for service'. Remember that and you'll succeed at what ever you do!" Wow, what sound advice! Pure genius! I owe the person I am to that very tractor analogy, even though my business succumbed to a potent form of euthanasia 7 months later.

Moving right along at a snails pace and back to the usefulness of the tractor. On one particular stroll up a sheer vertical slope, I expected to end up closer to God spiritually, not physically, as my unfit lungs nearly haemorrhaged trying to suck in enough oxygen to keep my lazy system responsive. The dirt track had been recently paved, but I noted with no surprise, that most of the motorbike tracks that had since been left, all veered off in random directions rather than following the most controlled route straight through the middle.

I arrived at the turnoff, my gulps of air having alerted any animal to the coming of a large, and possibly dying, threat to their safety, and saw with dismay that tractor man had a go at highway construction as well. I walked down a path that was a foot wide the day before. Now it was a 3 metre wide road with detritus strewn to either side of this haphazardly blazed trail. Lamenting the ignorance such an approach to nature preservation engenders, I come to see this as the affect of rapid progress and development on minimal or totally absent infrastructure, and forethought. How much of an impact was our very presence having on a small community that has changed more in the last 10 years, than it had in the whole holocene epoch? I don't feel I can make any claims to innocence, being implicated by simply being here at this particular moment in time.

My past trips to Asia have taught me many things. These included the fact that change is inevitable and that vetoing a certain place is not going to make a difference when the locals are actively seeking our custom and are determined to change their environment to better suits our needs, irrespective of whether or not we want them to. Another lesson learnt is that the world does not owe me any favours, as it had granted enough to me, as a Westerner, who doesn't have to battle for survival every single day like the people whose lives I touristed through. Another was that materialism is actually the complete opposite of contentment. The less you have, the more you may be able to realise the less you need. And that all life is too wonderfully diverse, and that experiencing any of it clouded by your own moods or expectations ruins a good time before your stupidity gets the chance to do so. I approach every day happy, until life gives me a very solid reason not to be. Unfortunately, I think most people approach their day the other way; outright miserable until they concede to one of the days many marvels that something is worth being happy about.

Tags: Philosophy of travel

Comments

1

Hey Harry,
I've finally started reading your journals - how long since you stopped making my coffee at Russo - and looking back to the 6th Jan you talked about how quiet it was at Nai Pan Yai. I know it can get really quiet on some beaches at Koh Phang Ahn, especially in my bungalow out on the point at Nai Pan Noi (15 years ago), but in my experience Thailand is very rarely able to sustain 'quiet'. Thais just don't do quiet.
I remember the quiet I loved the most was near my home in a small village about 12 kms outside Khon Kaen. I used to teach at the University until 9 pm and then ride home on the back roads when all was quiet (a relative experience) and dark. I lived in a small village called Ban Kok Fan Bong. (Priceless name which I have never learnt to pronounce correctly - if a farang can ever get the tones right - but I got perverse pleasure out of living in a village that had the words 'kok' and 'bong' in its name.)In case you didn't realise it, you are reading something written by the Queen of the ridiculously long sentence. ANyway, back to the story before you start yawning. Harry I used to have to dodge buffalo sleeping on the road halfway home but just after the buffalo herd there was a big lake and then the rice fields which totally encircled my village. Some of those evening rides held sublime magic for me because I loved to stop and enjoy the darkness, stillness and silence of the night - silent except for the sound of frogs and crickets calling from deep within the tall rice growing almost to the road. I'd usually stop the bike by the side of the road and sit quietly side-saddle for a while until the complete night-time aura would settle like a comfortable mantle around me. The stars were so bright sometimes and then the beauty of my surroundings would become really apparent. Then I'd usually stroll off along the tops of the padi dykes to find out who was busy in the fields at that time of night. Often an old man would be deep within the padi, up to his knees in water, with a small cavers lamp attached to his forehead, catching those very noisy frogs and crickets for his breakfast the next day. He also caught the padi spiders and padi crabs - do you know the ones you find in Som tam Lao (made in the north-east) - and as I walked across the dykes I could often hear the crabs scuttling through the rice if I walked softly enough.I never did get to like the taste of them. That old man was usually my neighbour, a widower, who had no english but grew black rice in his own yard and cooked the best sticky black rice known to man or beast. We had very little language in common, not just because of my bad Thai but he only spoke Lao and my Lao was even worse than my Thai. But it didn't seem to matter. If he had finished his night-time foraging he would sometimes cadge a lift home on the back of the bike with me. I was always worried that the spiders would escape through the holes in the mesh on top of his bucket but it never happened.
Harry, when you talk about the quiet of Thailand then this is what I think of. It's 6 years since I left Khon Kaen but in writing this I feel like it could have been only last night. Isn't it weird which things stay with you and which don't. I can't remember some of my friends names but I remember vividly the nights riding home through the rice fields after work. It's not hard to work out how much I love rice, and why.
Take care Harry. I hope you enjoyed my story as much as I enjoy yours.
Jen

  Jenny Jan 25, 2007 3:00 PM

2

Hey Harry,

You are looking great honey!!! The words in your last paragrapgh have really hit home. It was just what I needed to read on my last day in OZ. I am heading back to London tomorrow to face my 4th year!!! It is so true, we do look at life for a favour, a life line, and regardless of what we receive we are constantly demanding more.
There will be no more of that I declare - no longer will I look down at a grey morning, scrunch my nose in disgust when being compacted on yet another tube...it is a blessing disguise and deserves a more positive rap!

Take care of you,
love Zoe xxx

  Zoe Champion Jan 30, 2007 12:53 PM

About homeless_harry

A new profile picture was well overdue

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.