Existing Member?

Continental Divide Trail 2011 close to 3000 miles through new mexico, colorado, wyoming and montana. May 1 start date.

First 150 miles!

USA | Tuesday, 10 May 2011 | Views [385]

We have walked from the Mexican border, through the hot desert, up to a fire lookout close to 10,000 feet, through dry creek valleys and down to Mimbres, New Mexico, where I now sit with in a house. A nice couple found us on the side of the road and have welcomed us into their home. It has been wonderful to be back on a long-distance walk again. We are getting used to the long mileage again and the shortage of water. One day we had to steal mossy water from horses on a private ranch, spent 2 hours searching for the spring another day, and filtered brown disgusting water from a puddle the next day. But somehow we have not yet gone thirsty. We went from sleeping in cow pastures to sleeping in a fire lookout at 10,000 feet. And how we face a large spreading fire in our next section of the Gila Wilderness. We will have to skip about 160 miles of trail to be completed later in time, when the fire is long gone. It is disappointing for us so early in the trail, but we can't walk through fire! So so good to be out on the trail again.

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.