Existing Member?

Continental Divide Trail 2011 close to 3000 miles through new mexico, colorado, wyoming and montana. May 1 start date.

Cuba, New Mexico

USA | Saturday, 21 May 2011 | Views [473]

About 350 miles down and sitting stinky in the library in Cuba, New Mexico. We skipped the Gila due to fire and headed north from Pie Town to Grants and now Cuba. The last section was stunning, walking from mesa to mesa with ocasional snow or rainstorms and full rainbows. We met wonderful trail angels in Mimbres: Will in Lennae, and in Grants: Hugo and Carole. Truly wonderful people who blessed us with all of our hiker needs and great conversation. I thought it was a good idea to sent my tent fly and rain gear ahead to Cuba from Mimbres and of course our first day out of Pie Town it rains. I endured three nights of rain without a fly but with an extra garbage bag, my tyvek, my umbrella and some branches I was able to stay dry each of those nights. I am thankful to have my rain gear back though, as it has been rainy for days now. We are on track to reach Pagosa Springs, Colorado by the Bluegrass Festival June 3-5.

Loving it out here. The CDT is remote and obscure. So far following mostly dirt roads but this last stretch was mostly "trail" or a pathway designated by rock cairns. We laugh every day and work hard. So good to be out walking, and over 4 months left of it!

Tags: trekking

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.