Existing Member?

Continental Divide Trail 2011 close to 3000 miles through new mexico, colorado, wyoming and montana. May 1 start date.

one day left

MEXICO | Sunday, 18 April 2010 | Views [619]

I have neglected this journal and feel its time to give a quick update since I will be flying home in a day! I spent a lovely month in Belize. Two weeks on an organic farm, one week making my own drum next to the water: only tourist in the town, 5 days at Caye Caulker getting my advanced diving certification and diving the BLUE HOLE, whale shark diving in Placencia, and camping in the jungle. I write to you now from Merida, Mexico. Spent the day on the Ruta Puuc and visited 5 mayan sites. I will visit a couple more tomorrow as I make my way to Cancun. 

It has been an incredible trip. I am coming home with a better understanding of central american history and politics. I have a month of spanish school under my belt, Ive visited 15 mayan sites, have my ADVANCED open water dive certification and have made 18 dives, went to a weaving school and made my own scarf, carved my own drum and took a lesson from Emmeth Young, learned more organic gardening principles, hiked several volcanoes, and perhaps most importantly, have learned the art of resting in a hammock. I bought one the other day to make it a part of my everyday life. 

I am flying home in time to make it to the ADZPCTKO, the official PCT kick off and reunion. I look forward to seeing my hiking friends. I had planned on hiking the first 500 miles before I started work in Yosemite but it looks like Ill be flying to Alaska next week to work in Denali NP for the summer. 

About 300 couples of all ages are dancing outside in the square. There is some sort of fiesta happening. I find I want to stay longer wherever I am. I already have a list of things to do when I return to Guatemala, Mexico, Belize and Honduras. I am thinking of making a trip to South America next year but who knows? I am looking forward to working and seeing my family in just a couple days! I will add photos in the next week. 

 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.