Existing Member?

Continental Divide Trail 2011 close to 3000 miles through new mexico, colorado, wyoming and montana. May 1 start date.

last day in guatemala

GUATEMALA | Thursday, 18 March 2010 | Views [749] | Comments [1]

Sorry for my silence. I haven´t had much internet time recently. I am in Flores, Guatemala and will take a bus back to Belise in the morning. I will be wwoofig for two weeks and diving the blue hole before heading to Mexico for some more mayan ruins and fly out of Cancun on April 20. The last few weeks have been wonderful. I spent a week with my aunt and uncle bev and jack in Antigua, Lake Atitlan, and Tikal. We spent some time shopping, eating, ad having good conversation. I walked up Volcan Pacaya and roasted marshamallows over some lava. After Bev and Jack left I spent 2.5 days and 15 hours at Tikal and found my new favorite hobby: napping on mayan ruins. After, I reunited with my spanish school friends Katie and Brook. We spent a day in El Remate hiking at a local park and geared up for our 5 day trek through the jungle to the El Mirador ruins. We had a wonderful, knowledgeable guide. Two Israelies and a German I had met in Honduras also joined us and we set off last thursday. Our guide, Raul, said we were his fastest group in the 82 times he´s been to el mirador. The jungle was hot and dry but the sunsets and sunrises from remote mayan temples every day made it worth it. We saw some incredible mayan art temples. Truly amazing. After our trek, Katie, Brook, Johannnes and I spent some time eating and watching documentaries in a hostel in Flores and took a bus down to Finca Ixobel for a couple days. It rained hard but we still walked two hours to the famous caves and swam through a large cave for a couple hours using candles and headlamps. Very cool. Today I said goodbye to Katie and Brook, my favorite hiking and traveling buddies and came back to Flores for one more day. Johannes and I took a boat over to an Island and visited a private museum with some icreible mayan relice. Pottery, instruments, skulls, jewelry. And we were able to touch and hold everything. Also listened to some german records. Very worth it. I will miss Guatemala, but am looking forward to some farming and diving in Belize. Just one month left, which doesn´t seem like much. 

Comments

1

Hi Emily,

We're back home safe and sound and had a Wonderful Trip! We grew more fond of you each day we spent together.

We have been watching back-to-back basketball and were elated that Northern Iowa made it to the "Sweet Sixteen".

All is well here. We haven't heard from your mom, but will call her soon. Our weather was in the high 80's but has cooled down recently.

Your hike in Tikal and others sound great! However, the swimming in a cave by candlelight wouldn't be for us. Have fun in Belise and the rest of your trip. We will be looking forward to hearing all the details--(Jack interspersed)--and our Guatemalan meal.

Love you,
B & J

  J & B Mar 22, 2010 7:03 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.