Existing Member?

Continental Divide Trail 2011 close to 3000 miles through new mexico, colorado, wyoming and montana. May 1 start date.

10 days in Honduras

HONDURAS | Saturday, 27 February 2010 | Views [627]

Its been a while since I updated this but I've been on an island in Honduras for a week with little internet access. The last couple weeks in a nutshell...


1. After my Tagumulco trip I spent another 3 days in Xela learning how to weave at a women's cooperative. It took me 12 hours to make a scarf and I quickly realized weaving isn't my forte. I also spent a day visiting one of the strangest looking churches in a nearby town. The front is painted bright yellow and has tiger statues, just to give you a little taste. I spent time with my friend Katie and we went out to eat many times at the funky cafes and restaurants. We were even attacked with flour and eggs at the ash wednesday carnival in Xela. I really came to love Xela and was reluctant to leave its familiar streets but I ventured out on a 5 am chicken bus 10 days ago and


2. Ended up in Copan Ruinas for a couple days. Its a lovely little town with cobblestone streets just a 5 minute walk from the famous Copan Ruins. I spent a day at the ruins and once again was reminded that I can't stand tour guides and prefer to wander on my own. I am without fail enchanted by all mayan ruins and always arrive as soon as they open and am the last one to leave. I can't wait to get to Tikal, the mecca of mayan ruins.

3. Despues Copan, I met up with a couple of friends I made at the mountain school and we took the ferry to one of the Bay Islands, Roatan, in Honduras. I planned to stay 4 days but stayed 6. I, and three others took our 4 day PADI diving certification and immediately I fell in love and now want to be a mermaid when I grow up. We went on 4 open water dives with our instructor and as soon as I was certified I started jumping in the water for every dive available. Twice I planned to go on a night dive but twice it was canceled. Some day. There certainly isn't anything quite lie breathing under water and swimming with brightly colored tropical fish and turtles. We rented a beautiful apartment on the beach for the week and made good food every day. I have to say, I am falling more and more in love with the ocean, especially for being a mountain girl.

4. I left the island early this morning in order to meet up with my wonder aunt and uncle, Bev and Jack, tomorrow but of course the shuttle for tomorrow morning is booked and instead of taking ONE bus for 5 hours to Antigua, I will now have to take about 5 chicken busses, and it will probably take me all day. Oh, the joys of traveling. I have met so many people the last few wees and am hopelessly in love with traveling again. I will upload pictures soon.

Tags: scuba diving

 

 

Travel Answers about Honduras

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.