Existing Member?

Continental Divide Trail 2011 close to 3000 miles through new mexico, colorado, wyoming and montana. May 1 start date.

setting off again soon

JAPAN | Wednesday, 22 December 2010 | Views [503]

I had planned on NOT traveling outside of the US this year, to save money for my coming Continental Divide hike (summer 2011) and for future travels, but I always seem to find some reason to justify leaving the country again. When I found out it was no longer likely I'd get the job I was hoping for this winter, I started plotting alternatives. One was to finally visit Patagonia for a few months of hiking, another was to return to Guatemala for more spanish, and the third was to visit my friend Sarah in Okinawa and have my first introduction to Asia. In October I started looking up plane tickets and ordering lonely planet guides only to find that there would be no turning back. Once I'm set on something I have to follow through with it. And so I'm leaving in a week on a flight to Okinawa! After three weeks there I will make brief stops in Tokyo and China on my way to Kathmandu. I had thought about trying to see a few countries but I think I will fall in love with Nepal and feel that three months will only be an introduction. I will spend about a week in Kathmandu taking Nepali lessons to help communicate the rest of the time, then head over to Chitwan National Park to ride elephants. I will wwoof again on a remote farm for a few weeks to bide time for good trekking weather. The plan is to walk the Annapurna Circuit (3 weeks) and Everest Base Camp (4 weeks) in time to fly home April 26th. Pretty sweet. Then it's off to hike the CDT. I worked more than I ever have this year. From May to December with a month break in-between. Loved exploring the Denali wilderness and spending another fall in Yosemite. Good to be home for a little bit with my family in San Diego. I will try to update this as often as possible (probably twice a month). One week left to prepare all of my CDT resupply boxes and get ready to go again. I am always a little nervous before a trip but it is always worth it. Looking forward to being uncomfortable and seeing how my plans are drastically changed by the inevitable mysterious unknown factor of Travel.

Tags: preparation

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.