Existing Member?

Continental Divide Trail 2011 close to 3000 miles through new mexico, colorado, wyoming and montana. May 1 start date.

la escuala de la montana

GUATEMALA | Tuesday, 19 January 2010 | Views [558] | Comments [2]

I love the mountain school! It is a little over an hour out of Xela and set in some green mountains with many small vilages surounding the area. Up to 14 students study in a week and we all live in a house at the school and eat our meals with our local family. Four hours a day we receive one on one teaching in separate little huts outside in the garden. We also participate in several ectivities during the week and have been learning about the local struggles here. The Mountain School is actively involved with the community and provides jobs and funds for local projects. It feels good to be a part of it. I am finding I have to re learn much of what I learned in high school but after 4 weeks I am sure my spanish will improve. I am studing with a group of other american girls my age. We have a lot in common. This school attracts a certain adventurous and serious student. The people here are so very gracious and kind. I am slowly able to ask questions with my family and can´t wait to be able to cmmunicate more effectively.

My trip  from belize was beautiful and rushed. I visited Quirigua ruins and saw the most impressive stelae in the mayan world. I love ruins! A few girls and I are planning a hike this weekend. Buenos tardes!

Comments

1

Em. Yeah! you are enjoying your trip. I am not surprised :) It is great to hear you are living with a family and found a group of girls you connect with and can travel with.

  Amanda Morey Jan 22, 2010 7:36 AM

2

Hi Emily,

Laurie said that Guatemala was the most popular trip in 2009 according to a London Magazine. She shares your love of Ruins. Today we go for our vaccinations for our trip.

Can't wait to hear your stories in person.

Love-------B & J

  B & J Jan 23, 2010 6:55 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.