Existing Member?

Continental Divide Trail 2011 close to 3000 miles through new mexico, colorado, wyoming and montana. May 1 start date.

belize: the first 4 days

BELIZE | Tuesday, 12 January 2010 | Views [526] | Comments [1]

i sit now in an internet cafe in san igancio, belize. i love this town. Belize has reminded me of Africa so far. There are many similarities. I have been smiling a lot, so very happy to be traveling again. I arrived in Cancun after a full day of travel and high tailed it out of there asap the next morning. I am not too into touristy beach towns. i spent the next day bussing down the mexican coast to belize, crossed the border and was greeted by two opposing tour guides, trying to sell me a tour to lamanai and accomodations. I was happy to meet a young couple from England who were in the same situation as I was in. We haggled with the guides and actually got our prices down to cheaper than the lonely planet guides. Awesome. We spent the following day on our boat trip and tour of lamani ruins. My first Mayan ruins! I hardly ever pay for tours because I despise them, preferring to pay 90 percent less and explore on my own, but I didn't feel like swimming 40 miles so I went ahead and payed. And enjoyed it. We saw crocodiles, exotic birds, monkeys etc on our way, had lunch and climbed on some ruins. I think I should start building my steps in yosemite as steep as the mayan steps. My favorite quote of the day was when our tour guide said: "notice how high above the water we are. Yes! It is 10 feet! And I know you won't believe me but by the time we finish our 2 hour 3 fourths of a mile hike, we will have climbed 80 feet!" I laughed out loud, thinking it was a joke. But it wasn't. I thought of all of those 5,000 foot climbs on the PCT and smiled to myself. I made some friends and said goodbye to them this morning. Somehow ended up in san ignacio. i skipped a few ruins for the next time I pass through belize. i hate traveling in a rush and have just 4 more days before i need to be in xela so I am taking my time in a few places and will return. I love traveling and am enjoying my time so far.

Tags: belize

Comments

1

Hi Emily,
We received your message and are looking forward to meeting you. A couple of questions--Is the dress mode casual--blue jeans--etc? Are local water and fruits to be avoided and is safe water provided? Are you enjoying the food? How is the weather?

Learn your Spanish well so you can teach us.

J & B

  J & B Jan 14, 2010 12:56 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Belize

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.