Existing Member?

Continental Divide Trail 2011 close to 3000 miles through new mexico, colorado, wyoming and montana. May 1 start date.

CANADA!!!! 2662 miles

USA | Tuesday, 22 September 2009 | Views [608] | Comments [7]

I am sitting in a library in Vancouver, British Columbia. I made it to the northern terminus of the PCT on September 19th -- 5 months and 1 day after I started in April (with 28 days off for injuries, weddings, etc.) It was one of the most incredible experiences of my life, arriving at the terminus. There were 24 of us there all at once. This is unheard of. Oftentimes people finish solo and in the rain. We did have rain but the sun shone too and we celebrated together. Many of my favorite people were there and more and more friends kept rolling around the corner. We'd wait for them with hugs and congratulations. I spent the final 8 days of my walk with a group of 6. We left Steven's Pass together and traveled some of the most beautiful and challenging terrain in the North Cascades. Several years ago severe floods destroyed a 45-mile section of PCT trail but most of us still use it. There were a few river crossings where we had to balance across logs but we all made it safe. Our last town stop before canada was Stehekin, Washington--also the most beautiful--right on Lake Chelan. There were almost 30 of us there having a final meal together. There is also the best bakery in the world there so we spent 4 hours eating and did most of our resupplying with cinnamon rolls, scones and cheesecake. Eight of us walked the last 81 miles together to the end. We enjoyed the miles, taking long lunches and having fires at night. We laughed a lot and sang as we walked. Discussed everything we love and hate about long-distance hiking, all of us excited to reach the finish but not wanting to face the sudden end to our 5-month journey. I could never have imagined a better finish at the border with so many friends. We all walked the final 9 miles into Manning Park, Canada and found it to be the least friendly of all hiker towns. There was only one restaurant and half of us weren't seated. No communication or laundry facilities. It was a very anticlimactic ending to such a long journey, but the finish at the border made up for it. A big group of us took the Greyhound to Vancouver yesterday, stayed in a hostel and walked around town for several hours. We felt out of place and yet at home with one another. Tomorrow I fly to San Diego and begin work in Yosemite in less than a week! I think the recovery time will take a while, but I can't describe the deep satisfaction in having completed the PCT and all that I have to keep for the rest of my life from having experienced this. I will add pictures in a week or so! I made it!

Comments

1

Emily - very impressive. You have many new tales of how God sustains and provides. Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

Todd

  Todd Bolen Sep 23, 2009 10:42 PM

2

Emily!! You're DONE!!!! I can't wait to see you!!

  jessie Sep 24, 2009 1:24 AM

3

Wow Emily that's so awesome that you made it! What a great accomplishment! Oh I wish I could see you soon! It's been way too long...do we need to take another trip somewhere?! :) Love ya!

  Jenna Sep 24, 2009 6:29 AM

4

YEAH!!!! Emily I am so proud of you!!!! I wish that i could have made it for a couple miles, but another trail, another time. Yellowstone is here waiting for a visit but she is patient and will continue on until she is graced with your presence!! You are amazing, I love you and cant wait til we can talk. Daven made it back on Sunday and is back working again. Have you decided any plans for the winter? Call me when you get a chance. Yay, you are alive and well and Blessed. Enjoy the mighty Yosemite~ r

  Rachel Cudmore Sep 25, 2009 5:59 AM

5

Hi Emily,

CONGRATULATIONS! WE ARE HAPPY YOU COMPLETED YOUR HIKE AND ARE SO-O-O PROUD OF YOU! Right now we are in AZ taking care of the girls and will be home on Oct. 3rd. We hope to see you soon and are looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

Love you,
Bev and Jack

  Jack and Bev Sep 26, 2009 7:33 AM

6

wow

  anne tyler Oct 9, 2009 12:19 AM

7

congratulation !!!! hope you can make to the kickoff party in April 2010

  Dat Nguyen aka D.O.T (Director Of Trail) PCT 05 & At 07 Oct 13, 2009 3:52 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.