Existing Member?

Continental Divide Trail 2011 close to 3000 miles through new mexico, colorado, wyoming and montana. May 1 start date.

mile 1606: etna, ca

USA | Monday, 3 August 2009 | Views [743]

I've made it another 100 miles to Etna, CA. I had planned to skip this town but it is reportedly the favorite town on the PCT so I decided to come in for the night. The last section was absolutely stunning. It was mostly ridge walking with views of Mt Shasta, wildflowers, lakes, bears. And my foot stopped hurting! Although of course the new shoes I just bought turned out to be too small. I am trying to have them replaced as soon as possible. I went several days without seeing another PCT hiker. Almost everyone is doing long days now. 30 miles is common. But with my injury I haven't been able to catch up to old friends. I did catch a couple friend here in Etna and will hike out with them tomorrow morning. Everyone is spread out though and I know I may never see some of my friends on the trail again. We are 90 miles from Oregon! California is such a long state. I had a lot of time for thinking this last stretch. Every morning I smile; I love being out on the trail, and the thought that we are nearing the finish (although its still 1000 miles away) is sad for me. But I haven't made it yet! It has also been more challenging mentally in northern california. It is demanding on the body and spirit to be walking such long distances each day, sometimes without seeing another person. One must truly love it out here to keep going. I'll be getting back on the trail in the morning after some breakfast and a look in the thrift store and old fashioned drug store. It is a lovely little town. Our next stop is in 2 days: the Seiad Valley. There is a legendary pancake challenge there: 5 pounds of pancakes. I may try it. And then a few more days and we'll be in Ashland, Oregon!

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.