Existing Member?

Continental Divide Trail 2011 close to 3000 miles through new mexico, colorado, wyoming and montana. May 1 start date.

mile 1506: Shasta City

USA | Thursday, 30 July 2009 | Views [525] | Comments [1]

hello! Its been a while. I have had many challenges since the last time I wrote. I started having foot trouble again; same foot, but on the heel. Some people were saying I had plantar fascaitus, some thought it was my achilles tendon, some thought a stress fracture. It was extremely painful to walk on for several days but it seems to be getting better and better each day. I just bought a new pair of shoes here in Shasta City. I think that may help. My last pair lasted 1300 miles. Just after I hurt my foot I had the beginnings of poison oak, was stung by a bee and then some animal ate my favorite wool shirt all in one day. And yet I am still loving the trail. Northern California had been extremely hot as well. And buggy. There have been a lot of waterless stretches too so I have to do most of my hiking in the mornings and evenings and stay well-hydrated the rest of the time.

I have been trying to catch up with friends after my stop-overs in yosemite and sacramento but because of my foot I haven't been able to push ahead. I have made new friends though, and have run into old ones as well. Don Quixote, whom I met on the FIRST day and hadn't seen since mile 260 walked by me a few days ago and we spent some time catching up. I also met up with my friend Camille and her two sisters in Burney, CA and we spend the day eating cherries, swimming, and going on day hikes. I also stopped by a small town called Old Station and stayed with a wonderful trail angel who provided us with shade, meals, showers, laundry and good company.

We are nearly to Oregon! Less than 200 miles to the border. I have a couple stops before then, but look forward to arriving in Ashland, OR. This will be a significant stop. Also, we hit the halfway mark a while back. This second half will go by much quicker. I keep meaning to add pictures but at this point my bounce box and replacement shoes are still lost in the mail. It was hard for me to buy shoes today knowing I have a pair in the mail and 4 pairs at home but no way to get them on my feet in time. Oh well.

I can't wait to get back on the trail this evening. I am still loving it and wouldn't want to be anywhere else, despite the heat and my chewed up wool layers.

PS. Still no trail name. I have about 25, and have decided I need to choose one by oregon.

Comments

1

Hi Em,
Sorry about your foot problems and hope for healing.

The AZ girls started school this week. Kelly is excited about Spanish class. Their dad planned to be here this week but Sunday spent the night in emergency due to severe sore throat and dehydration so is recuperating at home.

We wish you good luck and health as you walk onward. Take care of that foot. We are missing you.
Love,
B&J



  Bev and Jack Jul 31, 2009 8:00 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.