Existing Member?

Continental Divide Trail 2011 close to 3000 miles through new mexico, colorado, wyoming and montana. May 1 start date.

Through most of the Sierra, in Mammoth: mile 907

USA | Monday, 22 June 2009 | Views [525] | Comments [1]

I am alive and well (for the most part). I made it through the most dangerous snowy sierra section and am in Mammoth Lakes, just outside of Yosemite. I spent 13 days walking through Sequoia and Kings Canyon and other wilderness areas and walked over 8 passes, most of which were covered with snow and ice. All of us PCTers waited for the morning to go over each pass to avoid postholing. I usually glissaded down the back side of each pass, which was awesome. It was definitely a challenging section. Not like the desert at all. Suddenly we were above 10,000 feet every day with either a snow, hail or rain storm each day. I also came down with ghiardia and spent the majority of the trip with bad stomach pain and nausea. I pushed through it though and had a wonderful time. Climbed Mt Whitney (tallest peak in the lower 48) last week and went to some hotsprings last night. Also met a couple trail crews in Kings canyon and they shared some fruit. I am happy to be in Mammoth, and will head into Yosemite in the next day to visit my trail crew and some people in the valley.

Tags: sierra

Comments

1

Hi Emily,
So happy to hear that you made it though the tough Mt.passes. I couldn't have tolerated the thin air, for sure. So sorry about the bad stomach.

All is well here. Laurie and Casey will visit july 7th.
We miss Kels & Becky's visits.

Take care of yourself. Love, B & J

  Bev & Jack Jun 24, 2009 7:37 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.