Existing Member?

Continental Divide Trail 2011 close to 3000 miles through new mexico, colorado, wyoming and montana. May 1 start date.

In Canada sooner than I thought

USA | Monday, 11 May 2009 | Views [463] | Comments [2]

This has been one of the hardest weeks of my life. I am actually in Canada right now, in Saskatoon. My father passed away yesterday. My brother, sister and I were able to fly up here the day before he passed away and we'll stay for his funeral this wednesday. 

I never would have been able to come up here had I not injured my foot. I had been in Big Bear 5 days when I received the call from my mom. I did something to my foot last week after coming down 8,000 feet from Fuller Ridge. It was extremely painful to walk on but I made it the last 50 some miles to Big Bear. I stayed in a great hostel there and consulted all the hikers, some of whom are nurses and massage therapists. Based on my conversation and observations I concluded that I probably had a stress fracture, and that meant I'd be off the trail about 6 weeks. Which meant my chances of finishing the trail this season were gone. It was a devastating thought. After more assessments I had hope that it was actually a joint problem, and not a fracture as I had feared. I was about to head out on the trail again on friday when I found out my dad had only a few days left. I left the next morning and arrived here with my siblings on saturday. 

My foot definitely needed this time to heal and if I hadn't injured it there would be no way I could have been able to come say good-bye to my Dad in time. Its interesting how things work out. I should be back on the trail this coming saturday. I'll be 200 miles behind the people I have been walking with, but I am so thankful I can continue walking and look forward to the time for reflection after this week. 

also, I added some pictures to the gallery last week. Check them out. 

Tags: zeros

Comments

1

Sorry for your lost !!! you still have plenty of time get to Manning Park !!! looking forward to see your name at my water cache (403miles mark), just remember Hike your own Hike and have fun !!!

  Dat Nguyen aka D.O.T (Director Of Trail) PCT 05 & At 07 May 15, 2009 4:29 PM

2

Hi Emily
I'm so sorry to read about your Dad, and so pleased for you that were able to be there and spend some time with him before he died. How are you doing? I'll email you as well, as I'm not sure what the easiest way is for you to get messages.
Take care
Barbara
PS I've only just made it to your blog so I have a lot to catch up on. It looks great.

  Barbara Hammonds Jun 25, 2009 11:55 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.