Existing Member?

Continental Divide Trail 2011 close to 3000 miles through new mexico, colorado, wyoming and montana. May 1 start date.

mile 369: wrightwood

USA | Friday, 22 May 2009 | Views [743]

greeting from Wrightwood, California: Mile 369. I have officially made it another 105 miles, in 4 days. It was a beautiful stretch. The first day out of Big Bear we walked along two deep creeks, which is a first on this waterless trail. The second day I made it to the famed Deep Creek Hotsprings with 4 pools of varying temperatures and the cool river to jump in. I stayed 6 hours before moving on, although most people tend to stay at least a day. I met one guy who had been there 3 days and had no plans to leave that day. I was too excited to be back on the trail to stay long though.

I have a confession. Actually, a few. I now really like (dare I say love?) southern california. Don't get me wrong, I still hate the cities, but once you move from the coastline to the mountainous inland, it is stunningly and surprisingly spectatular. I want to explore more later on. This is quite a step for me. Next confession: I tempporarily drink soda and eat at fast food places again. Its been years. But how can I resist a cold Dr. Pepper in the hot desert? Impossible. And the trail passes right by a McDonalds. Everyone was talking about it for days and I was thinking to myself: no way. Maybe I'll stop for the water. But after two days of thinking about it I started smelling the fries 13 miles away. I walked my longest day (31 miles) just to get to the McDonalds and inhaled a large milkshake, 2 large fries, and a side salad for good measure. After about 10 minutes though I vowed never to eat it again. I think its the build-up that makes simple things like walking to McDonalds so uniquely precious.

Yesterday I walked into Wrightwood and found the town to be full of Trail Angels. I couldn't walk two steps without someone asking me if I needed anything. I found my way to a trail angel's house, where I am now. They house as many hikers as possible, giving us beds, laundry, showers, food, internet, rides. The generosity is truly overwhelming. I stayed up late (until 10) last night with the 8 other hikers listening to them play the guitar and sing songs they've made up about the PCT. I felt so very much at home with everyone of all ages and backgrounds sitting in the garage of the trail angel's house, enjoying simple pleasures like chairs and cold water.

Part of me is driven to catch up to the group I was with at the beginning. I think I will take me a month or so, but I am also enjoying meeting all new people as well. This trail is full of special people. I plan to resupply here in town today and get maybe a good 10-15 miles in on my way to Agua Dulce, Hiker Heaven.

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.