Existing Member?

Continental Divide Trail 2011 close to 3000 miles through new mexico, colorado, wyoming and montana. May 1 start date.

the last two weeks

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 25 May 2008 | Views [836] | Comments [3]

I am sitting in the car at my sister's volleyball tournament, waiting for the first game to begin. I thought I'd go ahead and write one last update before I finish this blog. At the moment I am sad. I recently discovered that most of my photos from new zealand were destroyed because the picture cd's are scratched. It is a great loss, but I suppose I'll live. 

When I left Te Anau and said good-bye to my tramping community I headed to Queenstown and spent one night in Dunedin, home of the Cadbury chocolate factory. I stayed with a tramping friend and went to a High School Billy Holly play. While wandering around Dunedin I ran into two other groups of trampers I knew. I also walked up and down the "Steepest Street in the World" according to the Guinness World book of records: Baldwin Street. So that was pretty special. After one more night in Queenstown I made my way to Mt. Cook Village to spend one last night in a hut. I walked up to the famous Mueller Hut, which is well-known for its fabulous views of Mt. Cook. The hut was surrounded by the first snows. I stayed with 4 other people and we spent the night listening to avalanches and walking in the snow my moonlight. It was a lovely last hut but once I had descended I felt lost. With no more tramping left in my itinerary I wasn't sure what to do with myself. I ran into another tramping friend before taking my final bus to Christchurch where I spent my last week wwoofing for a lovely family of 5. My jobs included gardening, sawing stakes, mixing and laying cement, and collecting pine cones. I enjoyed the family and was sad to leave them but I was also anxious to get home. My hosts wanted me to stay an extra month to build an outdoor earthen pizza oven. Next time. I spend my last two nights in Christchurch staying in a college flatt with another tramping friend I met in Queenstown. I did all of my last-minute shopping, broke down and bought a macpac day pack and I even carved my own bone necklace. Sweet As. And then suddenly I was home. I already have a list of over 20 things I'd like to do the next time I go to New Zealand. It is strange not to be traveling now but who knows when my next trip will be? 

Thank you for reading!

the mueller

the mueller

Comments

1

What an adventure!!! Welcome home. Actually, you're headed back to Yellowstone today, so nevermind.

Anyhow, I ended up not going to camp like I said. Instead I went to Yosemite for the weekend. From there I headed over to Frisco. What a mistake!! WAY to crowded! I didn't say...instead drove down to Salinas which is home of the John Steinbeck Center. Of course, I drove in late on Saturday and left on Sunday so I didn't get to go see it. But my mom and I plan on taking a trip up there soon. =)

Hope your summer in Yellowstone is worth leaving NZ! Have fun!

  jessie May 28, 2008 12:04 PM

2

Wow... I can't believe your done, I feel like you just left. Care to plan an adventure in the fall? I'm feeling scattered in my life just now and want something to look forward to that is exciting... just let me know what you were thinking... there's always the possibility of me jumping on board with you one day....

We should talk soon.

love, sarah

  Sarah Leaman May 30, 2008 8:57 AM

3

Hi Emily!
I am planning a winter in new zealand this year to wwoof and of course do some hiking and nature immersion in between and on days off. I would love to get in touch with you to get your suggestions. I am especially interested in how much money you spent as I am trying to budget and the typical lonely planet guidelines seem a little steep for someone who will be working for room and board half the time or more. Also, I can't get a working holiday visa because I'm over 30, and technically you're supposed to have one to WWOOF in NZ but I've heard the hosts aren't too rigid about it..your experiences? Email me if you get a chance! Krista

  Krista Rome Jul 9, 2008 10:26 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.