Existing Member?

Continental Divide Trail 2011 close to 3000 miles through new mexico, colorado, wyoming and montana. May 1 start date.

rangitoto/motutapu islands

NEW ZEALAND | Saturday, 5 January 2008 | Views [471] | Comments [1]

hello everyone! I returned to Auckland today after three days/two nights on Rangitoto/Motutapu islands. It was fun trip. I left Thursday morning after stopping by the DOC office where I picked up a bunch of brochures and my Annual Hut Pass. I took a 25-minute ferry ride over to Rangitoto island. From there I walked over to Motutapu island, where there is a campground (home bay) right on the ocean. It is basically a huge grassy field next to a bay. Mostly families in boats camp there, with an occasional tramper. I walked through lava fields and through cow pastures. The walk reminded me of walking in wales (except the lava part). I arrived at my campsite at about 2 the first day and sat in my Thermarest chair for several hours, reading, writing, and cooking. Yesterday I day-hiked all over Motutapu, along the coast and over fields, and crossed over to Rangitoto to walk the summit. Nice views of neighboring islands and Auckland. I wandered through some lava caves on my way back and stayed at home bay a second night. Super windy last night, but my bivy held up nicely. Today I walked back to the wharf and took the ferry back to Auckland. I'll be here another two nights and then it's off to Wellsford for my first WWOOF experience!
me on some lava.

me on some lava.

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

Nice High Waters. J.K.

  Your only sister Jan 5, 2008 7:25 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.