Existing Member?

Continental Divide Trail 2011 close to 3000 miles through new mexico, colorado, wyoming and montana. May 1 start date.

strawberry fields, hokey pokey, and church

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 6 January 2008 | Views [973] | Comments [6]

Well, my one regret for the day is that I didn't take any pictures. But sometimes pictures take away from an experience. Or at least that's what I'll keep telling myself. I don't like having regrets when traveling. I will always remember the time I wished I had gone over to another roof in Jerusalem where some Swedish people were singing. It taught be to take more chances though. Today I visited a church in Auckland and it was fabulous. Reminded me a bit of the Albert Street Chapel in Oxford. I made a connection with the church here through the church I attended in college. At 9.15 this morning Laura (23) and her husband Mike picked me up in from of my hostel and off we went. The church meets in a high school gymnasium with maybe a hundred in the congregation. I felt at home with the hymns sung and was encouraged by the lesson in I Timothy. Afterwards nearly everyone came to introduce themselves and I made quite a few connections with local farms needing help in the next few months. I met a family from California who hooked me up with a cell phone and sim card so that will be helpful. After church I went to the Pastor's lovely home in the hills outside of Auckland. We ate salads, local cheeses, veggies, and fruit. I smailed as I looked around the table, listening to their New Zealand accent and trying to pick up on local table manners. I remember being completely lost when I was eating in England. I had never eaten so quickly and while using both a knife and fork. There wasn't much of a difference today, although I learned that one slice of bread was not enough for all the freshly made spreads. We talked about traveling and such after lunch and that's when I tried Hokey Pokey. New Zealand is famed for its dairy products, and ice cream is a dairy product ( in case you were wondering). And Hokey Pokey is a favorite New Zealand ice cream flavor. Its a rich, creamy vanilla with toffee-like crystals. Heaven. I spent all afternoon in their brown house with large open windows. Afterward I went with Laura and her husband to a strawberry field and we picked a couple kilos of strawberries. I now know the meaning behind sun-ripened strawberries. It was a wonderful day. My first real experience with Kiwis. I wish I could send you all some Hokey Pokey. I'm off to my first farm tomorrow! I'm sure I won't be able to update this journal as often but stay tuned!

Tags: Food & eating

Comments

1

Wow, Emily. I am glad you are traveling. It was really fun when you and I traveled the world together...even if we didn't make it to New Zealand. We should do that again sometime. Happy travels!

  Samantha Jan 7, 2008 1:07 PM

2

emilly thank you to explain for me your journey to newzealand may be it was very greatfull ,but emilly tell me right now if you still loving me and iwant to tell you this that your the queen of my heart.did yuo like it?.because now iam having much desire to be with you .and am about to reach in the age you was when your here in uganda.
ilove you

  ivans Jan 9, 2008 2:52 AM

3

Hi Em,

Thank you for taking us on your trip. We are enjoying the experience. Love you! Bev and Jack

  Bev and Jack Jan 10, 2008 3:33 AM

4

Hokey Pokey, eh? I have always been curious what it tasted like. Now I just need to find out where the socks in the dryer go, and life will be complete. Glad you're having fun! Hope farming goes well. I just finished Tess of the D'urbervilles - about a girl who works on farms. =) Reminded me of you. Anyhow, best of luck!

  jessie Jan 14, 2008 4:45 PM

5

hey lawlor,
nice to read some of your adventures. i've been keeping up, how odd of me, even if i haven't left any messages. who's that ivan weirdo from uganda? or is that a joke, b/c that was funny. anyway, if you get a chance, tell me how NZ is really like? i've been interested recently, like the last 10 minutes, of traveling there, and maybe working there. they need teachers, i hear. how are the people, cities, etc., stuff that i'm interested in? alright, enjoy the farm, and keep us updated as you can. my brother (johnny) is in israel now.

  Andrei Jan 21, 2008 11:18 AM

6

You are definitely in a "dream world" Emily! I sure enjoy reading all your adventures!!

Gregory

  Gregory Aaston Mar 3, 2008 1:11 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.