Existing Member?

Continental Divide Trail 2011 close to 3000 miles through new mexico, colorado, wyoming and montana. May 1 start date.

Safety Concern: sunburn

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 2 January 2008 | Views [703] | Comments [5]

Major Bummer! I just spent 20 minutes entering a story and when I tried to add a photo, it erased my entry. Sad. But I did add a few photos into my first photo gallery so chack that out. Anyway, I don't have as much time now on this computer so I'll try to type fast. OK. First things first: yes, I have a sunburn. You'd think after working at YCC where I force high school students to put sunscreen on in the cold mornings, I'd remember to put some on here. But I never even thought to bring any. So my face and arms are pretty red and I've learned my lesson. I now have a bottle of sunscreen so don't worry. Auckland has been great! I spent the last two days walking around outside (thus the sunburn). There is a 16 K walk through Auckland that I thought I'd try out yesterday but I got lost 4 times so I only made it 1/4 of the way before I turned around. My destination was Mt. Eden, an extinct volcano and stellar view of Auckland city. I met a Kiwi author at the top and he talked to me for over an hour. I have also spent time orienting myself and figuring out where things are like: the ferry building, the DOC (Department of Conservation) office, the outdoor stores, vodafone building, and supermarkets. Most things aren't open, however, because NZ decided to make January 1st AND 2nd national holidays. I did walk into Whitcoulls, the main bookstore, and learned very quickly that New Zealand is expensive. A paperback is $30! and a lonely planet is $60. No thanks. I also walked to a mexican place and the burritoes were $13! I guess I won't be eating much. Well, my Brazilian friend did show me a fairly reasonably priced market so I bought some rice and oranges. Today I took a ferry to Devonport, an island nearby and walked up two more volcanoes and browsed the used bookstores. Tomorrow I take a ferry to Rangitoto, where I will camp for two days. I'll let you know how it goes!

me on Mt. Eden with Auckland city in background.

me on Mt. Eden with Auckland city in background.

Tags: I should have known better!

Comments

1

Hey thanks for posting, it's fun to see where you end up!

  Yuliya Jan 4, 2008 10:15 AM

2

Em. You are so sun burnt! Wow, you are there..no fair! How are the hikes?

  Amanda Foltz Jan 4, 2008 12:28 PM

3

haha looks like you make friends fast! That brazilian guy for instance. Sounds like you are having fun!!! That view from Mt. Eden is amazing! And Aukland city looks pretty awesome as well! You should post more pictures up!

  Aniruddh Jan 4, 2008 6:04 PM

4

Em,
I had a bottle of sunscreen that I just thew somewhere b/c I didn't know what to do with it. To bad I didnt give it to you.
Oh well.

  Kelsey Jan 4, 2008 6:55 PM

5

Well, thirteen bucks for a burrito would probably guarantee it to be the best darn burrito you've ever eaten. But hopefully the rice and oranges are good, too. Your blogs are fun to read! Keep the pics coming, too. Fun, fun, fun!

  Jessie Jan 5, 2008 7:18 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.