Existing Member?

Adventures of a short vet

Roman ruins of Tarragona

SPAIN | Friday, 8 October 2010 | Views [1694]

They were surfing off the beach behind the amphitheatre, wished I could have joined in!

They were surfing off the beach behind the amphitheatre, wished I could have joined in!

I managed to buy a ticket from Passeig de Gracia to Tarragona without too much trouble, but did get a bit worried when it seemed the train wasn’t making any stops and I thought we may be going straight to Valencia. Luckily it did stop in Tarragona on the way.

I was looking forward to wandering around this ancient town full of Roman ruins and was especially excited about the amphitheater, which is said to be one of the best preserved amphitheaters in Europe, and the Circ Roma, tunnels through which the chariots would race around the city. It was pretty amazing sitting in the amphitheater thinking about how people used to watch gladiators fight in that very spot so many years ago. Apparently they still have mock fights on festival days.

On the way to the cathedral I discovered there was some sort of festival being held, with red and yellow flags decorating the streets and vendors dressed in medieval costumes setting up their stalls. I found out the following day that it was the festival celebrating the liberation of Valencia from the Moors by the Christians. After a long afternoon of walking I was ready to sit in the plaza near the old Roman wall with a beer and some tapas of chirichollo sausages – my new favorite tapas of small spicy sausages. Yum!

It was a nice change to treat myself to a hotel room (after all, I have to keep reminding myself that I am no longer a student and don’t HAVE to stay in overcrowded hostels all the time!) and I was glad to be able to go back to a nice quiet room for a late afternoon nanna nap. I showered and headed out again at 8pm hoping to see some action from the band I’d seen setting up on La Rambla Vella, but apparently I was still way too early as most things only seem to kick off after 11pm in Spain, which is a little too long to be hanging out alone on a street at night. Instead I bought some crackers and cheese and headed back for an early night to catch up on some e-mails on the hotel wifi.

Tags: amphitheater, roman ruins, tapas, tarragona

About drmitch

Dr Nick my travel companion

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.