Existing Member?

Adventures of a short vet

Last day in Barcelona

SPAIN | Thursday, 7 October 2010 | Views [621]

Making do with posing in front of the building as the line was way too long

Making do with posing in front of the building as the line was way too long

I had planned to go to Sitges for a nicer beach experience, but decided instead to see more of the Le Ribera area. After all, with some of the best beaches in the world at home, it’s hard to find any better! Instead I headed out early to get in line to visit La Sagrada. At 12 euros entry fee it isn’t cheap and unfortunately all the construction in the building detracts somewhat from the impressive interior, but the museum under the church was interesting and even had a short video showing some of Gaudi’s innovative building methods.

The church soon became a bit too crowded for comfort, so I caught the metro back to Villa Olympica and walked through Parc de la Ciutadella for a picnic lunch by the main fountain, before heading to the Picasso Museum. It’s a bit tricky to find as the main entrance is down a little alleyway, but has quite a good display of Picasso’s early work and how he developed his famous style. I also think I saw a lady have her bag snatched as one minute she was sitting on the sidewalk eating an ice-cream and the next minute she’d dropped her ice-cream and was tearing down the street yelling at someone. I assumed the foolishly complacent tourist had placed her handbag on the pavement next to her and someone had snatched it.

After that bit of excitement I walked to the Santa Maria del Mar, a beautiful old church where the sea is said to have once lapped at the doorstep, before heading back up La Rambla to buy a giant bag of fruit from the St Josep market for a fruit salad dessert following a fresh fish dinner that the girls had promised to cook. We even had a couple of bottles of wine thanks to their friend, Fabian, who came to visit us at the hostel. Followed by a bucket of sangria thanks to the hostel “Sangria night”. There were going to be some sore heads in the morning!

Tags: la ribera, la sagrada familia, picasso, sangria, santa maria del mar

About drmitch

Dr Nick my travel companion

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.