Existing Member?

The Great Spiral

A rainy day in Denmark

DENMARK | Saturday, 28 June 2008 | Views [494] | Comments [1]

So, it's a good ting that we bought some extra ponchos before we left, as soon as we arrived in Copenhagen it started pouring.  We extracted some money from an ATM and headed toward the port to reserve our spots on the boat.  We checked out a few relevant sights on the way and picked up some post cards.  I was interested in buying a t shirt but I got my first taste of how expensive Scandinavia is.  I found one I was interested in but it cost 40 dollars.

On the way to the port we walked into a city center and heard a bunch of car horns and whistles going off with some techno music in the background.  We saw these huge army trucks loaded with a bunch of young people dressed in sailor outfits.  We had stopped to check out our map on a bench in the center, when another 2 trucks came by.  They all parked and unloaded their passengers and all of the young people ran toward the statue that was in the center.  Excited as we were as to what was happening, we pulled out our cameras.  The young people were jumping over the fence and beginning to climb all over the statue.  Looking a little closer we saw they all had beer bottles and apparently had been drinking for a while.  The entire square had now stopped to observe.  I was curious as to what they were doing so... I went and joined them.  Amidst the screaming I asked one of the students what was happening.  She said that they had all graduated that afternoon.  A strange way to celebrate I thought...  Im not sure what type of school has sailor outfits as their uniforms (unless it's a naval academy... a large one with the amount of students.) 

Anyway, we also saw the changing of the guard, we saw "The Little Mermaid" statue, the pre-disney statue from the fmous book that

 

Comments

1

I am so jealous! Denmark is my most favoritist country in the world. And It's been 8 long years sinnce I was last there, Thanks for the little trip downM. Lane.

Sounds like you're trip is enlightening to say the least, and you're both still alive!

  Tour Manager Derek Jul 17, 2008 5:12 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Denmark

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.