Existing Member?

DavidFordJournal

With the Buddha (Continued)

INDIA | Friday, 19 February 2016 | Views [564]

I left this story in Lumbini, specifically in the car with Manidhamma and Guddu on our way to Kapilavastu and then Sravasti. The narrative thread, however, remained in Kushinagar, the scene of the Buddha's Parinirvana, so I will pick it up from there. Much has happened since then so I may be brief..

In Kushinagar, besides visiting the large reclining Buddha, stupa and the Burmese monastery where Sangharakshita was ordained, we also visited the stupa marking the spot where the Buddha's body was cremated and a smaller site where his ashes were distributed. These places did not have the same effect on me as the aforementioned sites but I did try to imagine again what it must have been like to actually have been at the Buddha's cremation. It must have been an incredible (poor word but it will have to do) event.

 My memory is a little haphazard now of the events of this trip but I'm pretty confindent that we came to Kushinagar from Vaishali, home of the Lichavis and to another stupa containing relics of the Buddha. Our stay there was brief, notable for me personally mostly for a bicycle ride. This was prompted by me curiously inspecting a Hero bike (in photos) and being invited to take a ride on it by the owner who was also partaking of chai at the same retail outlet (stall). 

Not only was it fun to ride the bike but it was also nice to be the recipient of what I took to be simple generosity and kindness. 

I can't think of much else so say for ths blog so I will finish it there and move on......

Love, 

Davidx

About davidford


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.