Existing Member?

DavidFordJournal

Trevor Francis

INDIA | Saturday, 30 January 2016 | Views [340]

I woke up this morning in a foul mood. This may have had something to do with the two large bottles of extra strong Kingfisher beer and tooo many 'Charm' cigarettes that I had consumed with Trevor the night before. When I say 'may'....

ANYWAY, I have now moved hotels, out of my swish (ish) 900-700 rupee a night lodging to a bargain 250 rupee a night room. The new hotel is not salubrious but what it lacks in comforts it more than makes up for in a certain old word/ rundown grace and charm. I really like it so far.

I also feel that I owe Puri an apology. It is what it is and of course it is my mind that veers more towards the 'impuri'. This having been said, in this mornng's mood I was keen to leave asap. In fact I will be leaving on the evenng of the 4th, a night train for Gaya, which means that I will have plenty of time to develop forbearance.(chapter 6 of the Bodhicaryavatara).

I have taken to having breakfast at the Pink House restaurant near my old hotel and the beach (photos of dogs, crows etc are from there), something like poached eggs on toast with coffee and juice, and spending a leasurely morning reading the Bodhicaryavatara, at the moment the chapter on awareness. I am making an effort to put this into practice, particularly keeping my gaze straight and down and pretending that I am a plank of wood. This helps, not least in limiting the number of solicitations that I receive which remain numerous.

Of the other books purchased at the Kolkata International Book Fair (Bolivia being the prinicpal guest internation country btw), I am enjoying most of them. The only partial disappointment being 'Oh shit not again' which is pretty lightweight. The Sea of Poppies is very good and 50 Shades of Grey, to date, very readable.

Of Puri, I am not saying much. I find that I am trying to avoid people: the masseur and chai sellers on the beach all trying to peddle, fish, drugs, and well massages,  as well as chai and all wanting western clothing, and a variety of other entrepreneurs selling similar commodities as well as directing me to guest houses and restaurants. I find that I am not good at saying no, despite my determination to do so. Generally the best I have managed is maybe, or maybe tomorrow. 

The other thing on my mind has been my lower back, which has been sore since the night train from Siliguri to Calcutta. I may go visit the local government ayurvedic hospital but will see how I feel. Today there is some improvement, maybe one benefit from the alcoholic excesses of the previous night. 

Trevor, incidentally, is an early retired social worker living in Twickenham, originally from Birmingham and an unfortunate Aston Villa fan, who I met two nights ago at the 'Peace Restaurant'. Puri it seems was a 60s hangout.. Anyway.. Trevor, besides being a very bad influence (!) has loads of energy and whilst I've been hanging around reading, swimming etc., has been off exploring local wildlife and religious sites. I just cannot be bothered.

Another bit of news (good) is that Guru, the young Canadian I met in Sikkim, has also found himself in this area so I hope to meet up with him and compare notes.

I'm not sure what to call this blog, a problem I don't often have, so will name it after Trevor Francis just to annoy Trevor.

Love,

David

Tags: alcoholic excess, hotels

About davidford


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.