Existing Member?

DavidFordJournal

Still Ill

INDIA | Wednesday, 6 January 2016 | Views [575] | Comments [1]

I find myself once more in the Coffee Shop (not Cafe), having consumed another veggie burger (how many is that?) and nursing my first cold of the trip. The last few days have been really quiet partly because of the cold, partly because I don't really want to move on yet, partly because I'm not sure where to move on to, further into Sikkim or down south and towards the warmth.

I've picked up a new book, 'Dune, The Machine Crusade', which I am enjoying. 'The Poisonwood Bible' was left behind in Kalimpong with the Price Family, as real to me as most people, facing a tricky time in the Congo. I will hope to pick that story up again, not without some trepidation, on my return to the UK.

I have also been sitting in the lounge of the lodge in the evenings listening to music, a medley of love songs, evangelical christian stuff, rock and some rap. I'm really enjoying this and it's bringing back memories of university holidays in Brussels with Karen, my then girlfriend. I imagine that it has something to do with similar activities in a similar context of freedom and spaciousness, not to mention priviledge. 

Lying in bed ill, my mind also turned to boarding school, ill with pneumonia in the sanitorium receiving visits and listening to the sound of passerbyes on the road and, on match days, the cheers from the crowd watching the first 15 rugby team play and mostly win. 

So, an in between time where my emotions are pretty much on the surface I'm pleased to say (generally!), Let's see what tomorrow brings..

Love to you all,

Davidx

Tags: books, illness, music

Comments

1

Hey david,
Hope you doing better soon. Enjoy the warm socks and let us know when you head west. We wiln wait in the dessert for you, trying to sell Elin for a few Camels.

Regards from a Cafe in Kolkatta, waiting for our train to Varanasi.

  Fred Jan 6, 2016 9:22 PM

About davidford


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.