Existing Member?

7 months of Bulldust

Cairns and Surrounds

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 3 September 2010 | Views [778] | Comments [5]

In Cairns we are staying at Palm Cove, one of the Northern beaches about 20k from the centre of Cairns.  This area is chock full of 5 star resorts, day spa’s and restaurants where those flush with $ can enjoy a luxury holiday on this beautiful beach – BUT, tucked right next to these stately complexes snuggles a small quaint council operated camp ground on absolute beachfront.  (I have no doubt the developers would be constantly harassing council to get hold of this parcel of land).  So here we are rubbing elbows with the rich and famous for $17 a night!!!!  We can sit under the palm trees surrounding our tent, sipping something cool, playing guitar,  and watching the waves roll into the shore – bliss! 

 

 From our base here at Palm cove we are exploring the surrounds of Cairns.  We have spent time with friends at the township of Kuranda (a vibrant little villiage filled with artists and musicians high on the range in dense rainforest. – The kuranda markets are colorful, noisy and exciting, and the organic foods and wines are wonderful).

Last night we had a spectacular dinner with new friends Kylie and Bruno - and their beautiful seal point siamese boys.  We were all filled fit to burst with wonderful food, wine and great conversation - I now understand when our guests at home groan at the thought of trying to fit in more food!   

Explored Mareeba (Big coffee growing area!!!!), the Atherton Tablelands, visited the Tolga woodworks which has the most amazing hand made timber artwork,  and visited the Daintree Rainforest.  The Daintree rainforest is thought to be the oldest continuous rainforest in the world at between 150 and 200 million years old, and its diverse plant and animal life is amazing.  (In comparison the Amazon is merely a spring chicken at about 7 million years.)  Still having a ball but the end of this trip is growing ominously nearer……   Wonder if I can extend my leave?????

 

Comments

1

Glad you are having a ball, but there is a simple answer to your question - and that is NO!!!!
Cheers
Doris

  Doris Schwarz Sep 3, 2010 8:33 PM

2

Finally you are in territory I’m familiar with. It’s been baffling following your journeys to places I’ve never been and a few I’ve never heard of! Wish I could have joined you all in Kuranda. On my last visit, I was chilling out in a tepee with some feral muso’s jamming Santana all night – what memories! Talking about music, I’m delighted you’ve had your guitar out but I’ve decided I need to get my fingers warmed up for your homecoming. Just this week, the dust has been mopped off and I’ve learnt a few tunes – if you have time, check these out on youtube and see if you like them too:
Rambling Man by Laura Marling (in an E tuning – fun); The Cave by M & S (you know them!) & Undercover Martyn by 2 Door Cinema Club. They’re all easy & the first one has a bit of country plunk (in a nice folky/Dylan way) that you might be accustomed to now! I easily found the chords on the internet.
You seem so close now, only hours away really, basically on our doorsteps, but fortunately you still have plenty of time to explore our exquisite Eastern coastline. Enjoy! Our recent weather has been ideal for beaches and al fresco loitering.

Looking forward to seeing you all soon.

Love from your twanging guitar mate, your yearning harmonies companion and pal (!!!)
Terri ♪ ♪ ♪

  Terri Sep 4, 2010 6:31 AM

3

Thanks for the clear and concise clarification Doris! lol! I had to laugh out loud - although an extra few months would be good!!! My first week back is a two day week - thought I should come in on one of your days so we can do an update - then I think friday is our PCT if I have it right?? (though really trying hard not to think about it at all! Although reluctant to return to the office - I am really looking forward to seeing you my friend!

Lovely Terri - have looked up and found the chords for the new songs to add to the play list! I am so looking forward to getting together and dusting off the vocal chords ready to while away the hours in wine infused melodic, harmonic & enthusiastic therapeutic warbling! Not long now really. Love to all XXXXX

  callwill Sep 4, 2010 9:07 AM

4

Please do not spend one single moment thinking about work after this message. You should not come in even one day earlier. I will change my days to your end of the week to update, so I'll see you on the Thursday and Friday. If you would like to catch up before then (when the word 'work' would be banned!) I'd love to see you and would be happy to provide a sample of squashed grapes to lubricate your memory cells to hear about the highlights. We could do lunch or a/tea out your way at a pub or cafe, it's an easy train ride for me. I'm sure your social calender will be chockers with all the catch ups with people, so when you get back just let me know if you are free. Otherwise will see you at XXXX (that banned word).
Cheers
Doris

  Doris Schwarz Sep 6, 2010 10:18 PM

5

It's a deal! - Will push the XXXX word from my mind..... BUT really keen to catch up for a lovely lunch prior! - PLUS I have to hear all about Roma (and of course any encounter you had with George Clooney whilst there - I hope you mentioned me in any conversations you had with him!)
I will email you when back in Brisvegas!
hugs
L

  callwill Sep 7, 2010 2:21 PM

About callwill

Heading off

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.