Existing Member?

7 months of Bulldust

Heading along the Savannah Way

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 24 August 2010 | Views [427]

The

Savannah Way
is the name collectively given to tracks that extend from Cairns in Queensland right across the top of Australia to the end of the
Gibb River Road
in Broom WA.  We have already travelled quite a bit of this iconic route already, and so decided to continue to follow it into Gulf Country.  Part of the attraction of travelling this region has been its remote and undeveloped wilderness character.

Our first days drive took us along the

Roper Highway
( a single lane sealed road that almost lasts until Roper Bar.  Roper Bar has a single store / fuel station and has camping facilities, but after a fill up with fuel at over $2 /l  we continued onto the gravel.  The road was variable in condition, reasonable in spots, and pretty rough going in others meaning that we have been averaging about 60k/ hour, the result of all the bumping has been that the rivets holding the roof rack  onto the car have broken.  So in true ‘bush mechanic’ style, Steve has held it on with 3 tension straps which come through the front seat area of the car.  So far this seems to be holding it on, however since the straps are just above eye level I have suggested to Ethan that we could collect things to hang off them (like a mobile) – bits of bark, feathers, etc to be tied on by cotton!!! Could be very artistic and all outback drivers will soon be wanting them!!!

 

We set up camp for the night on the banks of the Towns River.  On arrival we realized that the Bilge pump which pumps the water out of our water tank has been another  casualty of the bumpy road (that’s two breakages…..?one to go??)

 

We  had  seen a couple of salt water crocs in the river, and over night heard some very mighty splashes whilst at least one caught some dinner we think.

 

After school in the morning we pack up and head off very slowly and carefully to Butterfly springs where we set up camp for the next night.  Given it is only a short distance away we arrived in time for a late lunch, and were able to spend the heat of the afternoon relaxing in the cool of the springs.  It is such a beautiful spot.  The pool is fed by a small spring fed water fall, and so the water is still clear and running (I believe that later in the dry when the waterfall stops the pool becomes unsuitable to swim in).  Under the rocks overhanging the pool are hundreds and hundreds of butterflies.  Various types of fish were swimming with us in the pools, and we saw lizards, a snake, and were yelled at by one particular sulpher crested cockatoo who wanted us to move on.

 

The zipper on the flywire door of the tent has given up the ghost (hopefully as this is our third breakage in as many days we are at the end of our run!).  This means we will have to use the solid canvas door instead which will reduce the air flow (it is so hot up here this is a real hardship)  – But at least we have another option and don’t have to share our tent with the mossies!.

 

About callwill

Heading off

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.