Existing Member?

kiting, diving, trippin' I ain't never been lost, just confused for a few days - Daniel Boone

Sunny Qld to ............. ?

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 24 July 2006 | Views [836]

After all the planning was done it came down to a rushed trip to the airport and a cruisy trip (so long as you didn't give up smoking) to Auckland. A non event. First night in Auckland was much the same. Checked out the Skytower, didn't do the bungy jump, had a meal and a few drinks then off to bed.

The best part is about to start. Picked up the campervan and headed north to the Bay of Islands. Made it to Paihai (pronounced pie-hee-ah) and spent our first night in a van park next to two Afrikaners who had supported the team that our Wallabies had thrashed 49 - Nil the night before in the Tri Nations Rugby. Very loud , and entertaining, night was had by the two south africans, a maori woman, a kiwi woman and the three "super bitches"(it's a complement in South Africa) from Scotland who were still buzzing from there tandem sky dive that day. Once we were told in no uncertain terms that we were too loud, MOST went to sleep.

Jet boat to the hole in the rock anyone? Great trip but very rough seas so we didn't go through the hole itself, but we were entertained with stories of sharks, piranhas and freezing seas (I checked out the local dive shop and water temp. was around 11 deg). Becacuse it is low season we got to have a cuppa with the guy who took our boat out and got the local angle on the place. Did the same in Waipou (why-poo......hurts if you don't) at a very nice cosy little cafe a  night or two later. The locals, like most locals everywhere, are a lot more friendly once you get aay from the major towns/cities.

Took the wrong turn at Thames (no we aren't in the UK) and spent two hours following three women around a shopping centre. No Mum I'm not a stalker. Then we took another wrong turn, or at least missed it and did the best trip throught the Coramandel Natoinal Park to the east coast and into Hahai (ha-hay). This is where the weather let go, well it is is winter in NZ, and we travelled down to Lake Taupo via Rotorua and a heap of other little towns that I won't even try to pronounce to meet up with a friend of mine who's parents have a house on a section in amongst the batches on the southern edge of the lake.

Here we got to go out on the lake trout fishing, swim in the thermal baths and have a look at Huka Falls. Amazing country. Lake Taupo is a volcanic crater and is fed by a heap of river systems. It then empties out through one channel that is 10m deep by 5m wide. This is one of the best jet boat rides in the country. They come up river to the base of the falls (which is too dangerous to kayak) and sit there with all that water trying to push it backwards. 

Back on the road and we have two days to do 4 -5 hours driving. Saw our first snow from Taupo but got closer as we went south. Winter weather closed roads heading south. Can you beleive they call their Hwy 1 from Taupo south The Desert Road? Not quite as lush, but................

Had a night om the coast north of Wellington then a night in the nation's capitol. All Blacks played the Springboks in town that night, big night for the locals.

Up early and onto the InterIslander Feryy to the South Island..........And guess who we run into on the ferry? Those loud bloody Afrikaners again, though not quite as loud this time. Got beaten again last night. They played the replay of the game on the ferry too. Not happy Bokkers!!!!!!!

Tags: On the Road

About bundynbeaches

Who wants to work after seeing a picture like this?

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.