Existing Member?

Graham Williams & Louise Jones Travel Blog This is our journal logging our trip through Central and Latin America from July 2005 to the present date. We update it and add new pictures every two to three weeks. At the moment Will is travelling in South Africa, while Lou is living in Buenos Aires.For more background reading on our travels go to - http://journals.worldnomads.com/will/

Chiapas

MEXICO | Sunday, 21 August 2005 | Views [715]

We are now in the southern state of Chiapas. In the state capital, Tuxtla, we visted the superb open zoo which has all the species that live in Chiapas, the most biologically diverse state in Mexico. Highlights were the jaguars and pumas, floppy-nosed tapirs, iguanas, and beautiful tropical birds including the quetzal whose feathers the Aztecs used in their ceremonial headdresses.

We are now in San Cristobal, a lovely old town up in the mountains. Today we visited a village where the indigenous people are descendants of the Maya and combine the ancient and the modern in their daily lives. Many still wear traditional clothes and speak their local language. The local church was a bizarre mixture of Catholicism and Shamanic spiritual beliefs. A Catholic priest was baptising babies in one corner but he is not allowed to hold services. The local people were sitting on the floor praying, with the help of shamans, to clay animal figures aswell as to colourful statues of Catholic saints. Live chickens were being sacrificed and bottles of coca-cola offered to the gods - coca-cola is regarded as sacred because it makes you burp and hence releases the bad spirits. Add to this: loud live music, incense, candles ablaze on the floor and homemade fireworks being let off outside.  Not your normal Sunday service.

Tags: On the Road

 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.