Existing Member?

Graham Williams & Louise Jones Travel Blog This is our journal logging our trip through Central and Latin America from July 2005 to the present date. We update it and add new pictures every two to three weeks. At the moment Will is travelling in South Africa, while Lou is living in Buenos Aires.For more background reading on our travels go to - http://journals.worldnomads.com/will/

On to Yucatan

MEXICO | Wednesday, 31 August 2005 | Views [734]

The last week and a half has been a pretty busy one with a lot of traveling. We first went down to the small town of Comitan, which is not far from the Guatemalan border. This was to visit an area of lakes which sit right on the frontier, most of them are fairly small but they have varying colours of blue due to their depth and the way light is reflected. They are Cenotes, limestone sinkholes which play an important part in the hydro systems, particularly in Yucatan, where we are now. From Comitan, we crossed the jungle covered hills to Palenque, where the first of the great Mayan sites is located. Although the site is not big the setting is fantastic as the jungle and the hills encroach to the very edges of the pyramid ruins. When you climb them you look down onto the vast Yucatan plain that stretches away into the distance. One day we spent taking a tour of the wonderful waterfalls in the surrounding hills. You can swim in rivers next to them and as it is the rainy season, they are at their spectacular best. There were lots of travelers here, nearly all from Europe especially Italy. We felt somewhat out of place as we dont have any tattoos or lumps of metal in our faces. We spent the weekend in the lovely walled city of Campeche on the shore of the Gulf of Mexico, which was walled to defend it from British pirates. While we were there we had a big storm and the streets ran like rivers (we had wondered why the pavements were so high). This region was hit by a hurricane a few weeks ago and all the what to do posters were still up everywhere. We will now be traveling in the Hurricane zone for the next few months so will be checking the Hurricane warning website on a regular basis. At the moment we are in the city of Merida, where it is very hot and sticky (42 degrees), which we are using as a base to visit more of the Mayan sites. Over the weekend we will be heading to the Caribbean beaches, for more sun and sand.

Tags: On the Road

 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.