Existing Member?

Graham Williams & Louise Jones Travel Blog This is our journal logging our trip through Central and Latin America from July 2005 to the present date. We update it and add new pictures every two to three weeks. At the moment Will is travelling in South Africa, while Lou is living in Buenos Aires.For more background reading on our travels go to - http://journals.worldnomads.com/will/

Mayan ruins and tropical paradise.

MEXICO | Friday, 9 September 2005 | Views [633]

In the last week or so we have crossed the peninsular of Yucatn visiting some of the great Mayan sites. The first was Uxmal, which was very atmospheric out in the forest, with very few visitors and inhabited by large Iguanas. The second was Chichen Itaz, the biggest and most visited, and the size of the central pyramid alone makes it an impressive site.  After weeks of only seeing a few travellers, Chichen Itaz was a shock as its on the coach tour route, with endless busloads of Americans bussed in from Cancun for some culture. To cater for them, the site has been invaded by souvenir sellers who occupy every scrap of shade. Going back to the small town we were staying in was like returning to Mexico. We are now at the beach, and what a beach!! We are in the small backpacker haven of Tulum, which has grown up around a Mayan ruin perched on a cliff above the Caribbean. If you can imagine the perfect tropical beach, white sand, blue sky, a warm turquoise sea and palm trees, then we are on it. Today we went snorkelling on the coral reef just offshore, as we headed back two Mauta Rays with wingspans of 2 meters cruised by. We are staying here for a week or so before heading down to Belize, our next country. 

Tags: On the Road

 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.