Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Decorated Farmhouses of Hälsingland

SWEDEN | Wednesday, 22 August 2012 | Views [3964]

Bortom aa farm, Gammelgarden

Bortom aa farm, Gammelgarden

The “decorated farmhouses of Hälsingland” is a World Heritage designation that covers a large area encompassing a concentration of large wooden farmhouses and associated farm buildings that reflect the best and most representative of the decorated farmhouses.  Most of the farmhouses closed for the season on Sunday.  Ironically, the only one that is still open is in Fagelsjo, Dalarna Province, not Hälsingland, and was owned by a Finish immigrant, not a Swede. 

Marten Persson was a blacksmith and gun-maker.  His skills were very much in demand and he grew so wealthy that when he built a new house on the property, he bought everything new.  They simply locked the door on the old house and moved to the new one.  Everything is exactly as they left it; clothing, dishes, rifles, shoes, toys.  Mostly historic homes have been disturbed at some point and then restored, but this one was ‘untouched’ from the time the last owners moved out until the present.  And not only are the walls painted in the grand style of the time, they are actually signed and dated by the artist.

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Sweden

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.