Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Falun Copper Mine

SWEDEN | Tuesday, 21 August 2012 | Views [2251]

They look like Tonka toys, Falun copper mine

They look like Tonka toys, Falun copper mine

A rainy day in Sweden looks much like a rainy day in Minnesota, which may have a lot to do with why so many Swedes settled there.  Fall is in the air even though August is barely half done.  School started on Monday and many of the tourist sites have closed for the season.  Apples are ripening on the trees and the birch leaves are beginning to glow golden.   It won’t be long before the skiers trade in their wheeled road skis for the real thing.

We are still seeking out World Heritage Sites; historic, cultural and natural places that UNESCO has marked as worth preserving.   The Great Copper Mountain mining area at Falun is the oldest known mine and the most important industrial entity in Sweden.  It has been worked since the 8th Century and produced about 70% of the copper in the Western world from 1600 to 1700.

        Falu rödfärg, the red paint that defines Sweden

Copper from the Falun mine was used for the roofs of both Drottingholm Castle and the Palace at Versailles in France.  Falun is also the source of the ochre pigment used to make ""falu rödfär" the red paint used on so many buildings throughout Sweden.

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Sweden

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.