Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Don't Bank On It!

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 16 July 2012 | Views [881]

"Not accepted" Laura and the credit card

It never seems to stop raining, only a minor annoyance to intrepid travelers like yours truly.  We splashed our way to Jersey Boys in Soho, visited the Tate Gallery and even viewed London from the "Eye," that giant ferris wheel on the Thames.  Even we can enjoy being tourists on occasion.

            Connie and Sandy on the London Eye

One of the things we hoped to accomplish in London was arranging for our trip to Antarctica.  Flight Centre was able to give us a better deal than the on-line sites and everything was going smoothly until it was time to pay.  Visiting Antarctica is a trip with a healthy price tag.  Even though our checking account had ample funds and our credit card balance is $0, the charge was declined!  And while BBVA, our US bank, has offices in London, they don't work together (or even communicate) so a direct transfer wasn't possible.  It took several phone calls and a ton of patience on Laura's part, god love her, before everything was firmed up.

We're good to go on November 20; 19 days in the Falklands, S. Georgia Island, and the Antarctic Peninsula on the former Russian research vessel Vavilov.  Another check mark on our "bucket list." 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.