Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Brisbane to London

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 13 July 2012 | Views [1210]

Union Jacks

Union Jacks

Four hours into the Etihad flight from Brisbane to London and we were only over Darwin!  Watching our progress on the in-flight GPS really drove home how big Australia is.  And how much of it we covered; about 20,000 km (12,500 miles) in four months.

Etihad is a nice airline, much cheaper than the competition but no less comfortable.  The new planes are seldom full so we could stretch out a bit on the Brisbane-Singapore and Singapore-Abu Dhabi legs but the B-777 was packed from Abu Dhabi to London.  We were looking forward to catching up on the films we had missed but I can't say much for the current motion picture industry.  Oldies like "Chariots of Fire," and "To Catch a Thief" were more to my liking.

Our friend Sandy arranged for a car to pick us up at Heathrow and take us to her flat in the tony Marylebone section of London.  Her flat is spectacular and we have our own room and bath, quite the change from the campervan.  Restaurants, bookstores, groceries - everything you could want - are within walking distance.  But don't forget your umbrella!  Last month was the rainiest June on record and July is following close on its heels.  When blue skies change to pouring rain in minutes everyone begins popping their umbrellas with the precision of a drill team.

               Marylebone neighborhood

We have been out and about with Connie's niece, Amber, who just finished a pharmacy internship; fools errands at the Embassy (better not to ask), the History Museum and a photo exhibition at the Royal Geographic Society.  We even took a peek at the Olympic Park, not quite finished, but I guess they've got it under control.

         Olympic Park, still under construction

London is fantastic. So many nationalities, races and languages.  So many ethnic restaurants.  Such interesting faces.  After months of seeing mainly old folks like us it seems strange to see well-dressed women and men in suits with pegged trousers and pointy-toed shoes.  It makes me realize how homogenized Australia is compared to England.  Or the US.

Nine time zones have knocked me crazy.  I feel like a narcoleptic, ready to fall asleep in mid-sentence.  Sandy has been busy with her duties at the Embassy but we hope to catch up with her this weekend.  And we have tickets for Jersey Boys tonight.  Hope this Jersey Boy can stay awake.

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.