Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Split to Florence

ITALY | Monday, 19 December 2011 | Views [852]

Cosimo Medici, Piazza della Signoria, Florence

Cosimo Medici, Piazza della Signoria, Florence

The cabin on the ferry Marco Polo wasn’t as plush as the one on the ship from the US to Spain, but we got a good night’s sleep on the crossing from Split to Ancona, Italy.  Our exile from the EU is over and we will spend the next three months in and around Italy.  A three-hour train ride later and we were in Florence, one place I have been looking forward to visiting for years.  Florence was the home of Lorenzo “Il Magnifico” Medici, Leonardo and Michelangelo, among others, the Ufizzi Gallery, the Ponte Vecchio, the Duomo, the Pitti Palace and so much more.

Our walk from the train station to the Hotel Benvenutti was much longer than it appeared on the map – but it was definitely worthwhile.  Large hotel rooms in a nice part of Florence, complete with wifi and a fridge, are hard to come by for less than 40 euros.  Granted, it is “off season” and cold but we are here for the history and the art, not for the weather.  We spent the afternoon getting our bearings, picking up groceries and replacing the defunct lens on my camera.  I couldn’t bear being in Italy without a good camera, even though most of the museums forbid photos.  We also found a laundromat, a rarity on our trip so far, and a major necessity right now.

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.